Handful of bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cause of decline? No food in sight. If my hive was near this one I would be looking in mine rather than worrying about how to kill these few bees!

Also, if another hive is queenless or has a drone layer you or someone nearby might appreciate this queen.

Cause of decline? No food in sight. If my hive was near this one I would be looking in mine rather than worrying about how to kill these few bees! ...

Sorry, but which one are you referring to?

Was it nice?

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

It was okay, boiled it in cider. Also eaten starlings,blackbirds,rooks,grey squirrels,frogs legs, couple of sparrows once cooked in a pressure cooker, and i hear that mole is edible as well,but tastes disgusting.

Cause of decline? No food in sight. If my hive was near this one I would be looking in mine rather than worrying about how to kill these few bees!

Also, if another hive is queenless or has a drone layer you or someone nearby might appreciate this queen.

Its queenless.

They'd swarmed late, and we'd caught them and put them in a hive. The old hive had lots of queen cells which a more experienced beekeep came and destroyed ... the other hive was merged back by another beekeep with this one as it was small and the queen from that was put in the freezer to kill her.

They'd inspected this hive in October (before the merger) and didn't spot the queen. I had asked if they'd seen eggs or larvae but they hadn't looked for them as they were intent on marking the queen.

They looked inside on Saturday and there were quite a few dead bees in the bottom of the hive and only a small bunch at the front (see photos linked above)

It was okay, boiled it in cider. Also eaten starlings,blackbirds,rooks,grey squirrels,frogs legs, couple of sparrows once cooked in a pressure cooker, and i hear that mole is edible as well,but tastes disgusting.

I used to have a cat that liked sparrows. Apart from the feet.

Their autopsy skills are amazing - how cats can leave the certain bits intact and eat the rest.

I have a recipe somewhere for badger steaks amoungst others. One for rat states that it 'tastes not unlike Snipe' - not tried it though. If you eat squirrel you must not eat the brains because it harbours prions which cause a disease similar to BSE. I have had Rook pie, I do not fancy Starling though, they are greasy and smelly- what were they like to eat?

Originally Posted by beebopalula View Post
I do not fancy Starling though, they are greasy and smelly- what were they like to eat?

Had starling on a stick in Thailand... a bit like squab, but crunchier

Deep fried Bat was tasty... cobra stew not quite so nice, a little like a gristly lobster.

Dog curry turned me over a bit when I realised what I had eaten.......

fresh bee larvae well worth a try ( ideal in stirfry if you do not like them still wriggling.)

Never tried Badger... probably a bit gamey for me!

Originally Posted by beebopalula View Post
I do not fancy Starling though, they are greasy and smelly- what were they like to eat?

Had starling on a stick in Thailand... a bit like squab, but crunchier

Deep fried Bat was tasty... cobra stew not quite so nice, a little like a gristly lobster.

Dog curry turned me over a bit when I realised what I had eaten.......

fresh bee larvae well worth a try ( ideal in stirfry if you do not like them still wriggling.)

Never tried Badger... probably a bit gamey for me!

Was it a fruit bat? I can imagine that could be tasty.
You do not have to go to the far east to sample dog curry though - it is available on most high streets in the UK!
I was offered griddled scorpions once - black ones about 3" long (declined).

We had some work done by some builders. They brought their shot gun and shot two wood pigeons and a crow for the sake of it. I picked up yhe wood pigeons and cooked them up with rosemary. They were really nice. If I was tougher I'd shoot another but to be honest I prefer seeing them flying. Soft hehe. Also get a few moor hens in the garden early morning. I wondet what they taste like

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

Itma, I was referring to the original hive that alldigging was talking about and linked to photos. The photos didn't appear to show any food at all and all digging said that their hive was next to this nearly dead one.

Alldigging, fair enough if no queen - sorry, must have missed something earlier in the thread.

Meg

Latest posts

Back