Handful of bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alldigging

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
On another thread someone said about dispatching the handful of bees rather than merging them with another lot.
How would you do that?
I'd assume you could just let them dwindle away.

Yes probably they are tiny because they are sick so you shouldn't combine them. You could try putting them in a small poly hive. ( Not on foundation. On on warm day you would need to wire in comb, or get a poly box where the frames fit) Probably not worth it as the odds of a tiny colony surviving are low.

Are you actually asking if there is quick way to kill bees that seems more humane than letting them die slowly? If so....petrol fumes apparently do the job, I have read on this forum how to do it but never had to resort to it yet, but someone will come along who has.....please!
E

Are you actually asking if there is quick way to kill bees that seems more humane than letting them die slowly? If so....petrol fumes apparently do the job, I have read on this forum how to do it but never had to resort to it yet, but someone will come along who has.....please!
E

Yes
I did ask on the other thread what he meant by dispatch... but no response yet so I thought I'd open it up in a new thread as a sep question.

Petrol cull.
Place hive on solid floor, when al bees have returned seal entrance and sides if old worn hive, remove roof and poor no more than 0.5 pint of petrol in through the crown board hole. roof back on return in morning and all bees will be dead.

bees are dead within 5 minutes but let fumes dispurse for safety.

Colin

Petrol cull.
Place hive on solid floor, when al bees have returned seal entrance and sides if old worn hive, remove roof and poor no more than 0.5 pint of petrol in through the crown board hole. roof back on return in morning and all bees will be dead.

Colin

Do you know, that's the most horrible thing. I hope I NEVER ever have to do that.

Could you not just tip them out and let them beg their way into another hive?
Would that work?
:(

Depends if the NEED to go, for example .... bees from hell... Don't want drones with bad genes, don't want queen, tried everything to quieten them down. No time to requeen etc ...sometimes there is only one option, but as I say, not got there yet! Been close!

Could you not just tip them out and let them beg their way into another hive?
Would that work?
:(

It might work. If the weather isn't favourable, they would probably just huddle together where you left them and slowly die off. If it was warm enough for them to fly, you could then have the problem of them transferring disease to any hive they were accepted into. A huge risk, especially where the hive has declined over Winter and there is no apparent cause. Better to let them die off on their own hive or kill them off rather than risk spreading disease and losing another colony or colonies of bees.

I'm painting boxes today, and one kamikaze bee decided to land on wet paint - went arse over and landed on it's back.

By now it's wings were soaked in paint, so it was a no-brainer - and under a size 12 boot it went. Quickest method of dispatch known to man - instant. Faster than petrol or anything else.

So - if there's only a few, that might be worth considering.

Bloody rotten to be even thinking like this - but if you have to, then at least make it quick. Wouldn't you want that, if the tables were turned ?

LJ

On another thread someone said about dispatching the handful of bees rather than merging them with another lot.
How would you do that?
I'd assume you could just let them dwindle away.

Yes probably they are tiny because they are sick so you shouldn't combine them. You could try putting them in a small poly hive. ...

In the case of a colony that has dwindled to nothing, in an apiary that had Foul Brood last Autumn, combining would be the very last thing on my mind.

Petrol cull.

I think even less petrol should be needed - especially if poured onto a bit of rag, to hold it in the hive while it evaporates.

Lecturer today was using just a few drops of nail varnish remover on a paper towel to terminate a honey jar of sample bees for microscopy ...

Soapy water

Concentrated Soapy (Washing Liquid) water sprayed directly onto bees - very quick finish. Had to last season and hope never to have to witness it again. With weather this season may not be an option as 50% gone (died) naturally and the remaining 50% likely casualties.

Back