Hampshire Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi All

Its a long shot but wondered if anyone local to me had any "Hampshire" mongrel queens available ?

I need to urgently requeen two of my hives that have become very nasty, but wouldlike to do it with local Queens this time around.

Cheers

Hi All

Its a long shot but wondered if anyone local to me had any "Hampshire" mongrel queens available ?

I need to urgently requeen two of my hives that have become very nasty, but wouldlike to do it with local Queens this time around.

Cheers

I have a similar issue with 2 hives and have not yet made a decision, but is it such a crime to take a frame of brood from a a good hive and let them create an emergency queen? are these queens such a low quality?

Expecting a kicking on this one :)

Jez

I have a similar issue with 2 hives and have not yet made a decision, but is it such a crime to take a frame of brood from a a good hive and let them create an emergency queen? are these queens such a low quality?

With what drones do you expect these queens to mate with?

With what drones do you expect these queens to mate with?

that would be exactly my point, you simply dont know, yet many will say never use emergency queen as a way of resolving issues

that would be exactly my point, you simply dont know, yet many will say never use emergency queen as a way of resolving issues

My point was - you are suggesting taking a frame of brood from a good hive and raising queens from that without even mentioning what you are going to do about the other half of the equation.

You have two hives which are nasty and you seem to be suggesting to fix it, you'll raise queens from a hive that you think is good - without even attempting to do anything about what they will mate with. So there's a high chance they'll turn out nasty too.

If you really wanted to raise your own queens - wouldn't it make a lot more sense to get some of your other good hives (if they are reasonably unrelated) to raise lots of drones to increase the chances of the matings being what you want?

Lots of good ideas in here but.........

You are stuck.

You need queens.

Drone control is ideal but is out the window.

So?

So give them a frame of young grubs that they can raise a queen from and move on,

PH

Latest posts

Back