H/B

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBRNoTB

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
7: 1 KTBH . 3 14x12 , 1 Long fondationless 14x12 + 2 Nat +some empty ones :(
I can see why it is classed as invasive, just had a walk around a local golf club in Leigh, Lanc's, see photo. There is quite a large brook amongst that lot! Still wish I had it near my apiary;)
View attachment 8594

Hardly any around me this year - been too dry I think, but have some small plants in the garden so hoping they will flower in time for the bees to take advantage...

Hardly any around me this year - been too dry I think, but have some small plants in the garden so hoping they will flower in time for the bees to take advantage...

Plant leeks instead, the ones you dont let flower for the bees you can eat!...
leek flowers are covered in bees...

that will make jenkinsbrynmair very happy

Plant leeks instead, the ones you dont let flower for the bees you can eat!...
leek flowers are covered in bees...

that will make jenkinsbrynmair very happy

I used to have a leek in my garden but the neighbours complained they could see me since I re-laid the hedge :eek:

Bees do like alium flowers

I can see why it is classed as invasive, just had a walk around a local golf club

Well at least one golf club in the country of a use to mankind apart from keeping people with bad dress sense off the streets

I have alliums, but the bees are on the veg patch :eek: Makes planting and picking really difficult!!

As with Japanese Knotweed, Himalayan Balsam is a notifiable pest and Local councils are under an obligation to eradicate it, since when, for the last two years my bees have not returned with the grey dusting I used to see. In due time there will be even less of it hidden in the "secret" hollow.

As with Japanese Knotweed, Himalayan Balsam is a notifiable pest and Local councils are under an obligation to eradicate it, since when, for the last two years my bees have not returned with the grey dusting I used to see. In due time there will be even less of it hidden in the "secret" hollow.

I contacted a seed company to see if I could grow HB in the garden (as we are nowhere near water & wouldn't allow it to seed)...and they said there are not 'as yet' any rules on the sale of seed or rules against planting on your own property??

I have put on my hard hat and hidden in the shed in preparation for the replies I fear I may get :)

Agreed.. Legal in your garden.. Illegal to let it spread outside.

Just try stopping it !!!! When the seed heads ping their seeds they go for some distance. Otherwise the only control would be to pick off every flower head before it matures. Would it be worth it? Not for me.

I grew it in my garden starting 3 years ago and let it flower. Thousands of plants next year which I duly destroyed with a hoe. Still have three plants but in places where seed spread is easily controlled.

Just try stopping it !!!! When the seed heads ping their seeds they go for some distance.
The pods can project the seeds over seven metres away!, and are further spread by floating downriver.

And that's the problem. to enjoy the balsam you would have to have a pretty large garden with the HB planted in a bed slap bang in the middle (well over seven metres away from any of your boundaries/water courses) then every spring and into summer you would have to regularly go around the garden pulling up (which is quite esy as they are shallow rooted) any HB plants that have strayed beyond the cordon sanitaire.

Latest posts

Back