Guidelines on others 'hosting' a hive.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DulwichGnome

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
8 & 5 nucs all Rose
I have been asked to put a hive in someone's garden. I've had a look and were it is to go looks suitable and he seems happy to give me the access I need but stepping back from it a little I have realised I am beholden to him and he has my equipment!

It looks like some of you have hives on other peoples land, do any of need to have them open up for you? Do any of you have a more formal agreement with them had a hand shake?

Any guidelines to this would be a help.

Thanks.

Mike.

I am currently on a farmer land behind a locked gate to which he gave me a key.

I pay him a jar per hive, and some comb honey.

What I think you might want to consider is how your activities, if they go wrong, might affect your "landlord". When things are smooth so is life, it's when it goes wrong that problems arise and they can be very serious problems.

Bees are not toys as some think nor fluffy animals, they can be down right dangerous.

PH

in the falconry world, if you are a member of the BFC (British Falconers Club) you are automatically insured for £1m for if something goes horribly wrong.
I am sure the clubs team of elite lawyers would make sure it would not get that far.

Is there anything like that in beekeeping?? Admitedly the bees don't have rings around their legs and proof of ownership would be difficult, but is there insurance for urban beekeepers or ones that live in populated areas?

in the falconry world, if you are a member of the BFC (British Falconers Club) you are automatically insured for £1m for if something goes horribly wrong.
I am sure the clubs team of elite lawyers would make sure it would not get that far.

Is there anything like that in beekeeping?? Admitedly the bees don't have rings around their legs and proof of ownership would be difficult, but is there insurance for urban beekeepers or ones that live in populated areas?

I'm insured for lost by disease and for personal injury, so long as they can prove it was my bees that did the deed ;). I was thinking more on the lines of what if he turned round in 6 months time and say "Hive? What hive!" then I'm out one hive!! I don't want to make it too formal but....

Mike

I'm insured for lost by disease and for personal injury, so long as they can prove it was my bees that did the deed ;). I was thinking more on the lines of what if he turned round in 6 months time and say "Hive? What hive!" then I'm out one hive!! I don't want to make it too formal but....

Mike

I think most people are honest and trustworthy, bearing in mind the fact that he's trusting you on his property. Trust is a two way thing and cannot be demanded. You are already suspicious of him and are thinking he will steal your hives, how can this work?

Frisbee

I think most people are honest and trustworthy, bearing in mind the fact that he's trusting you on his property. Trust is a two way thing and cannot be demanded. You are already suspicious of him and are thinking he will steal your hives, how can this work?

Frisbee

Your right of course, I think the thread about hives going missing has spooked me :(. I think I need to talk to me again and set my mind at rest.

Cheers.

Mike.

Frisbee thats a very good reply !
I never thought of it like that.

Your right of course, I think the thread about hives going missing has spooked me :(. I think I need to talk to me again and set my mind at rest.

Cheers.

Mike.

Yes.......reading about stolen hives - and I posted one of them, it does make you wonder, but this gentleman who has offered you his garden, I think there are other things which should concern you, the main one being - What if the bees misbehave? How far away are they (the owners) going to be from the hives?

Polyanwood is the one to speak to about hives in a garden.

One of my farmers hosted some hives on their land, they were all attacked when they went to harvest the rape in the autumn, I was told the story when I was there a few days ago, it wasn't very pleasant..............

I think if somebody wanted to nick your hives, they wouldn't invite you to their garden to do it :)

Frisbee

Frisbee thats a very good reply !
I never thought of it like that.

Thank-you. I cannot claim the saying though..........The late Robin Cook wrote a very good article about trust and I read it, was so touched by it that I cut it out and kept it and read it occasionally (I know I should get out more :))

Frisbee

True that I have had vicious bees in my garden the two previous seasons (but not yet this year. Woohoo!!) and strangely I live in Dulwich too.... so if you need a site for your bees, we can talk. My family were not able to use the garden and one set of neighbours keep saying they are going to report me to the Council.

I was thinking about siting the new mild bees in someone's garden on the basis that I would give them free tuition in the hope that they would then know what to do if I couldn't look at them.. naive perhaps.

Now have a lock up apiary and an option on an allotment on a main road.

Hi Polyanwood, I keep being surprised by how many bee keepers there are in sunny SE London, which makes be more surprised when I'm told by gardeners that they have not seen any bees for years!!

Planning to site this one over the weekend, I'll keep you posted.

Mike.

I think the reason most people don't see honey bees is that most people recognise a nice big fat bumble bee but not a honeybee. Plus of course the amount of forage available in all those gardens. If people want to see bees just plant some borage in the corner of the garden.

I think the reason most people don't see honey bees is that most people recognise a nice big fat bumble bee but not a honeybee. Plus of course the amount of forage available in all those gardens. If people want to see bees just plant some borage in the corner of the garden.

...... and in a couple of years they will have some garden in the corner of the Borage ! I planted a small square last year on the allotment, despite digging, rotovating and Green Manure overplanting, it's all over the plot !

The key is not to let the damn thing seed. As soon as I see the flowers go over then thats it. Off comes its head!! :cool:

Back