Guernsey bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilco

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15-ish
Currently seeing some friends in Guernsey for a few days and was wondering about bringing a queen back to start a Guernsey line (isolated island population and all). It's not possible as I've contacted the local BKA and apparently they have some queen issues generally this year with many keepers needing them (!). However, I was wondering if anyone on here knows of any legislation - would bringing a queen from Guernsey to England be allowed without paperwork?

Currently seeing some friends in Guernsey for a few days and was wondering about bringing a queen back to start a Guernsey line (isolated island population and all). It's not possible as I've contacted the local BKA and apparently they have some queen issues generally this year with many keepers needing them (!). However, I was wondering if anyone on here knows of any legislation - would bringing a queen from Guernsey to England be allowed without paperwork?

could always chance it , what’s worst that could happen , you lose her? Just pop her in your hand luggage

I'm sorry I can't answer your question:

But bear these two things in mind;

1. Guernsey is not part of the UK or EU, so you might be best to look for legislation for importation into the UK, and use that as your guidance, unless you find something specific to Guernsey in the UK legislation, etc.

2. What characteristics are common to the bees of that island(s) / northern part of France, and specifically what are the characteristics of the apiary / hive that your queens are coming from. I don't see the point in establishing a "Guernsey line" when it will be diluted down to 12.5% by the third generation... also as for isolated, I very much doubt that due to the necessity for imports for populating and maintaining genetic diversity... but that's another topic.

My understanding is that we can import from EU only, that’s until September some time, after that who knows what will happen 😊

what’s worst that could happen
you are being sarcastic my friend, aren't you?

Yes, something bad happening (apart from her dying) like importing a disease, is very highly unlikely, but it's the principle of the matter, the legislation is there for the protection of us all, we should not disregard it just when it doesn't suit us and / or when we believe there is no risk to other beekeepers, etc.

Did someone say Reunion island? Apparently a queen brought in, inside someone's shirt pocket contained a single varroa mite (inside the cage? on an attendant?), and the rest was history...

could always chance it , what’s worst that could happen , you lose her? Just pop her in your hand luggage

Would rather play it safe and do things 'by the book' however tempting.

I'm sorry I can't answer your question:

But bear these two things in mind;

1. Guernsey is not part of the UK or EU, so you might be best to look for legislation for importation into the UK, and use that as your guidance, unless you find something specific to Guernsey in the UK legislation, etc.

2. What characteristics are common to the bees of that island(s) / northern part of France, and specifically what are the characteristics of the apiary / hive that your queens are coming from. I don't see the point in establishing a "Guernsey line" when it will be diluted down to 12.5% by the third generation... also as for isolated, I very much doubt that due to the necessity for imports for populating and maintaining genetic diversity... but that's another topic.

1. Good point
2. It's more from the weird souvenir perspective TBH rather than specific genetics. Apparently they don't import bees here so assuming it's a relatively isolated population.

Latest posts

Back