Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Ringlander 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi, I did a quick inspection of the hives this morning, all in very good shape with good amounts of BIAS, queens present and correct etc but one hive was making a growling sound before I went inside?? Sounds a bit like a Dove with laryngitis. I have a recording with a M4a extension but cannot figure out how to attach it to this post as it only seems to accept picture or video files, Any ideas what's going on in the hive or guidance on how to post the audio file? Your thoughts, as always, appreciated.

Boston Bees 

Bumblebee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-20
Hi, I did a quick inspection of the hives this morning, all in very good shape with good amounts of BIAS, queens present and correct etc but one hive was making a growling sound before I went inside?? Sounds a bit like a Dove with laryngitis. I have a recording with a M4a extension but cannot figure out how to attach it to this post as it only seems to accept picture or video files, Any ideas what's going on in the hive or guidance on how to post the audio file? Your thoughts, as always, appreciated.
Can only assume you were hearing the sound of bees drying out honey by mass wing-flapping

gmonag 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
6 Rose Hives
This has been mentioned a couple of times recently. No-one really knows what is making the noise or how. There are some YouTube videos out there with recordings.

Last edited:

oxnatbees 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
It's obviously not piping / quacking from queens, on the video, because the film maker compares it directly with reordings of those.

It sounds to me like scouts doing a waggle dance to indicate location of forage. Probably smplified by a free hanging dacing floor, which is vommon in hives with free hanging comb like the TBH in the video, but not in colonies using wired frames with foundation.

Amari 

Drone Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Can only assume you were hearing the sound of bees drying out honey by mass wing-flapping
Maybe akin to snipe drumming? I witnessed this for the first time ever in Shetland last week.

Ringlander 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
The sound in the video is exactly the same as the noise I heard and recorded today. Like the filmmaker I went through the hive and found nothing unusual. The marked resident queen was present, there were no signs of other queens or queencells and it definitely was not piping or quacking. It's surprisingly loud, I wish I could figure out how to post the sound clip.

Woodland bees 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I get this quite a bit in some of my hives, thought it was normal. The colonies have been fine, young queen in full lay, plenty of room etc. Seems to happen more form in a poly hive.

Polymorph 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Yes, heard this a few weeks ago one evening from a poly nuc. Searched and came up with the same video. Very odd and meant to record as well.

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Curiously, this year I have heard it quite regularly from both poly and insulated wooden hives.

gmonag 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
6 Rose Hives
Curiously, this year I have heard it quite regularly from both poly and insulated wooden hives.
So it is probably not the result of a bee using the box as a sound board? I doubt that poly would make a good sound board.

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
So it is probably not the result of a bee using the box as a sound board? I doubt that poly would make a good sound board.
Personally I think its probably a "drone noise", I took a super off the other day and put it to one side only to hear yet again this so called growling sound. Queen was in the brood box, had just seen her, but the super was full of drones; I hadn't expected to see so many in one super.

Ringlander 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Went to check on the ives today and heard the growling agin, this time on hive number 1, rather than 2 as before. Here's a video clip, the sound is apparent right form the start fo the clip and is suprisingly loud. It was clearly coming from within the brood box and could be felt through the walls of the poly hive. The hives are starting to expel the drones, is it related to that maybe?

Attachments

Curly green finger's 

Apiculturist to the bones!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 50
Went to check on the ives today and heard the growling agin, this time on hive number 1, rather than 2 as before. Here's a video clip, the sound is apparent right form the start fo the clip and is suprisingly loud. It was clearly coming from within the brood box and could be felt through the walls of the poly hive. The hives are starting to expel the drones, is it related to that maybe?
That's definitely drones vibrating there wings or flapping I've heard it when there was lots of drones climbing up the walls of hives.
That's my take on it anyway.

Latest posts