Grooming.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good Dishmop, did you notice that the bees seem to have the TV turned up? :)

Not this morning. Probably the quietest I have known them to be.
They normally make a steady hum, which increases with the tempurature.
My computer makes more noise.

I sit at my desk on swivel chair and can watch computer, bees or TV.

Quote I sit at my desk on swivel chair and can watch computer, bees or TV. Unquote

That is as close to heaven as you can get in this worldbee-smillie

Quote I sit at my desk on swivel chair and can watch computer, bees or TV. Unquote

That is as close to heaven as you can get in this worldbee-smillie

I agree.

I like it, but had a look on the internet and can only find for sale in the US. Did you buy it in the UK or did you build it yourself, if so, where did you find the plans. Great video...

I made mine myself.

T***nes have had them but I was not impressed with what I saw of a second hand one.

Do a google images search...

I am intrigued. It begs so many (novice) questions...such as, how many bees does it approx hold....do they cluster in winter (ie does indoor warmth reduce/prevent clustering)?...how many frames are there (I think I see two)?...and most import of all...how strong is that glass! Not sure if I would be able to go to work in the morning, instead I think I would like to sit and watch them all day (though with addition of glass of wine, I think, to fully enjoy the experience)

My hive has 4 frames. 2 up and 2 down.

Was going to have 1 up 1 down but was advised to go for 4.

Mine is on a central pivet. It doesnt turn all the way thro 360 degrees but near enough.
Entrance tube is thro the lower swivel by use of 22mm plastic waste pipes with push in fitting,, then to a length of clear plastic tube thro the window frame onto the window sill.

I also made a slide operated by a metal rod, which acts as a door to lock them in, if I need to take the hive off the mounting frame and take it outside. There is also a slit in the clear tube into which I can push a piece of thin metal to stop bees coming back in if the hive has been removed.

How many does it hold??????? Dont know how many bees per frame is the average....

My setup, to best see how it works.

Like other bees they venture to the door to check the weather.

At night and when its cold they cover all of what I can see of the bottom frames (2 or more deep in most places), but only about half that amount on the top frames where the capped stores are.
At the moment there is no brood but a fair amount of uncapped stuff on the lower frames.

cracking pics dishmop.

Thanks for the info.

shonto

Latest posts

Back