Grooming.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Oops.. Video gone.

Last edited:
Now, lets try again.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyBwc-PaySM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyBwc-PaySM[/ame]

What I forgot to say was that they are my bees in observation hive.

I could watch that all day. Awesome :)

I have to get me an obs hive. Maybe when I know what I'm doing with your average, everyday colony lol.

Don't they look funny underneath :p

I miss my bees. I don't know how I'll cope over winter. I would love an obs hive, right in the front room of my house...I would sell the tv :D

I miss my bees. I don't know how I'll cope over winter. I would love an obs hive, right in the front room of my house...I would sell the tv :D
I only have to turn around from the computer and there they are.....all snuggled together... aaahhhh!!bee-smilliebee-smillie

don't suppose you need 4 lodgers do you? :p

Its suprising how fast bees can run. They really belt about on the glass and up and down the plastic tube.:seeya:

Well they have a lot of legs though don't they lol, I would love to see an obs hive one day. I sent the teacher I liase with at the school a few obs hive links and we were oooing and ahhing about how great it would be to have one in school. Probably never happen but we can dream lol.

Oh, btw, did you move the lodgers out to make room for the bees? Hee hee.

You need to look for somebody like a local business, supermarkets etc., who will sponsor an obs hive for the school.....

and then somebody to build one..

that's if we would be allowed one actually on the school premises. The current colony is on an allotment that is at the side of the school playground.

An entrance tube can be quite long and go a fair way up the side of a building, or if the school is two story....

fascinating viewing Dishmop...interested how intent she is on grooming that particular area, it appears a thorough job...and the bee being groomed spreading her wings to assist proceedings. I gather from your posts you have an observation hive in the house (or am I imagining that!)...even more impressive. Haven't the b***s for that, either literally or metaphorically, but more than a little envious!:drool5:

The same type of grooming happens when the bees first emerge.
They walk around shaking themselves and then one or two others will start the grooming and the new bee spreads its wings and they do dig quite deeply around the middle, and around where the wings join the body.
I spend far too much time watching them, but dont suppose they will be doing too much from now on for as long as it stays under 14 or so degrees.
Yes my obs hive is in the house.

Very good Dishmop, did you notice that the bees seem to have the TV turned up? :)

Latest posts

Back