Gripping power

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean this sort of joint and is the glue polyurethane

That's the one, if your making say a feeder also router out the floor grove and incorporate the bee gap too, so when everything is glued together its fully water tight and strong as.

The glue is by Everbuild called Resintite fully waterproof, steer clear of all the others because they are not fully waterproof and will eventually give way.

I have used these joints with cheaper ply and they still last 10 years and if your painting the box this seals any showing end grain.

Thanks for that, I know the joints you mean now. I have checked the glue and there are a few points I have concern over, the tech data says this; External applications; Protect glue line with impervious paint system once dry. Not suitable for continuous water immersion., and the COHSS Data says it contains Formaldehyde which is harmful to bees,

Thanks for that, I know the joints you mean now. I have checked the glue and there are a few points I have concern over, the tech data says this; External applications; Protect glue line with impervious paint system once dry. Not suitable for continuous water immersion., and the COHSS Data says it contains Formaldehyde which is harmful to bees,

The guide mentioning immersion mean submerged under water.

There are no glues made that could withstand constant submersian, due to the nature of timber, the glue line being the weak point between the two, but once set the ingredients of urea based glues become inert, its used for making water tanks, I have used this glue for the last 20 years without any problems.

If you use any PVA based glues for outside aplications it will break down fairly quickly and soften so the bees can pick at it, check out the ingredients of PVA or alaphatic based glues.

The very best joint is dovetails, no nails no glue and let the bees prop up the tiny gaps and everything breaths.
If your concerned about any glues, to seal your feeders simply brush meleted beeswax around the joints/corners, best waterproofer of the lot.

Don't waste money on slot-headed screws.
hhmmm

that's if you can find them.... I wanted some small brass ones for a period project and had a hell of a job to get what I wanted.

With reference to screw slots all the same way.. North Norfolk Railway has some renovated carriages with lots of wood on the outside and all wood inside. I sit there trying to find a screw slot which not in line.

Some great info here on types of screw etc, but what is the recommended diameter of screw (or screw size number) for assembling a standard national cedar hive?
Me thinks you might have several different opinions.

Latest posts

Back