Griff

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griff

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi,many thanks for the helpful replies to my earlier question.
I am still renovating the WBC hives in preparation for Spring and wondered if there is any reason why I shouldn't paint the outside of the lifts in gloss paint as I noticed that originally they appear to be in a matt finish,also would there be any benefit in painting each hive a slightly different colour than the others.
I would appreciate any available assistance.
Many thanks Peter.

My WBC is gloss paint, and as long as you don't paint it Monday and put bees in Monday eve. you should be OK I should think. If you are going to have more than one colony it might be an idea to paint a lift on each a different colour to help avoid drifting. There are some colours that bees can't see, but can't remember which...apart from red...so maybe check which they are first.

Hope that helps

Many thanks for your prompt reply.I am not putting bees into the hives until Spring so will be O.K.I will start painting a.s.a.p
Thanks again , Peter.

When we went to Bulgaria all the hives were blue. Why do you think that was??

without wishing to hijack post:ack2:

Clare

attachment.php

Have a look at this thread for more info:
Beekeeping colour chart

Ive started painting (in bee friendly paint from Thorne's) my hives 'green'

Mainly because i didnt want passers by in cars seeing a row of Hives from the Apiary (helps to make the hives blend in)

Hopefully one small step to prevent oppotunist thieves

You are better using a 'breathable' paint rather than gloss, IMO.

That would almost certainly be a matt finish.

You give no details of the type of wood, but in any case I would avoid a gloss coat as it can seal in any water,rather than allow it to disperse.

Regards, RAB

Thank you for the colour chart.I also looked at the thread and found the comments most interesting. Regards Peter.

Latest posts

Back