Greenfly

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

666bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 swarms, 1 14x12 nuc, national nuc
I want to spray my roses, is safe to do so or will it effect my bees?

Afraid I don't know, but can I add apple trees to the list? Sorry about the semi hijack!

Difficult to say unless you give the name of the chemical(s) you intend to use. There are usually a long list of warnings given on the leaflet in the pack.

If you want to spray your roses with greenfly, soapy water is effective and non bee threatening.

Read the label! If the spray contains an insecticide it's deadly for bees...the only solution is to spray late in the evening on a cold day and block the hive.
entrance if anywhere near.

As a keen rose grower I'm sickened to see the intereffingfering EU has banned Roseclear

I can post you 100's ladybirds!! They love greenfly- and the ladies are inside my bedroom windows at the mo- only about 40 today, but I keep heaving them out. The joy of hung tiles.:mad:

If you want to spray your roses with greenfly, soapy water is effective and non bee threatening.

My nan and I used to look after her roses. This method works fine. She used to use a non scented bar of white soap in a bucket and tip that into a watering can. Works fine. If your not squeamish just rub them off.

Apple trees - my mum used to use ashes from the fire mixed with water after she had American Blight on her trees.

Detergent in water works for roses .
If you feel you must used an aphid killing spray ,it shouldn't really come in contact with roses (dog roses aside) as they don't attract pollinating insects ! do it in the evening when all flying has ceased !1

John W>

stinging nettles boiled in water and spray the the liquid on any plant that has green fly.

John bee-smillie

Latest posts

Back