Green Pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlievictorbravo

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 - 14x12
We had our first BKA group apiary meeting this afternoon. Whilst inspecting, we came across a bee carrying green pollen, as per out of focus photograph attached - shows the colour though!

Our apiary manager was stumped and I've had a look at my photos of pollen since arriving home and can see nothing that colour for this time of year.

Any thoughts?

CVB

We had our first BKA group apiary meeting this afternoon. Whilst inspecting, we came across a bee carrying green pollen, as per out of focus photograph attached - shows the colour though!

Our apiary manager was stumped and I've had a look at my photos of pollen since arriving home and can see nothing that colour for this time of year.

Any thoughts?

CVB

American hazel?

spanish bluebell looks favourite. What kind/shade of green

Cotoneaster - small leaved or willow leaved
Hawthorn
Purple crab apple
Pear

Last edited:

Hawthorn
Purple crab apple
Pear

:iagree: mine are bring it in to and seen them working bluebells with green pollen on there socks

Hawthorn
Purple crab apple
Pear

The photo seems to have fallen off my post here it is again. The apiary is in a rural location so more likely to be hawthorn, I suppose.

CVB

Attachments

• Green Pollen.JPG
    Green Pollen.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 97
saw green and blue in mine last week too

:iagree:
Yes, could be confusing that one in terms of honey bees being flower constant.
Hawthorn pollen white according to the Irish Beeks Association and I agree with them.

:iagree:
Yes, could be confusing that one in terms of honey bees being flower constant.
Hawthorn pollen white according to the Irish Beeks Association and I agree with them.

well, according to William Kirk's colour guide (who gives three shades of pale green),it's green (very pale so it's understandable that some would call it white)Dorothy Hodges agrees.
I know who i would depend on, regardless of your endorsement

Some of my bees today were also bringing in green pollen but it was a darker green than the photo above. They are in an urban garden. Would that still be bluebells or something else?

Spanish bluebell is darker than the pollen in the picture which is probably hawthorn or crab apple - sycamore, English elm, holly and alder also have light greenish pollen

You can add grape hyacinth, gooseberry, Yew, red currant, crab apple and several other "green" pollens to the list that will possibly be in flower in your area at the moment. Best to collect some from the varroa board and examine with microscope, or find someone else who will.

Back