Grass cutting nightmare

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
I can only cut the grass round my hives with a strimmer as the ground is too soft to take a mower.

Normally this is not too much of a problem but today I was just approaching the hives with the strimmer running when ALL the hives erupted and I had to beat a hasty retreat:mad: Fortunately full PPE on at the time or I would have been in serious trouble.

I have no idea why today should be a bad bee day.

Some of your Asian hornets winding them up ? or may I suggest turning your television down when the world cup is on :D.

John Wilkinson

Sounds very familiar, my other half decided to run a scrub mower across the front of our hives a week or so ago. Similar response from our bees, only he didn't get off so lightly and took several stings to the head...left him feeling a might peculiar and somewhat more respectful!

Just wonder if your atmospherics are up to something? got a storm brewing?..we did- just the bees had forgotten to mention it!!LOL

AMAE

Sounds very familiar, my other half decided to run a scrub mower across the front of our hives a week or so ago. Similar response from our bees, only he didn't get off so lightly and took several stings to the head...left him feeling a might peculiar and somewhat more respectful!

Just wonder if your atmospherics are up to something? got a storm brewing?..we did- just the bees had forgotten to mention it!!LOL

AMAE

i have to cut mine in late evening if iuse my petrol mower but have no problem with eletric flymo,i assume it is the fumes

or maybe vibration...am I showing my age if I say something like...'it's a lot less bovver with a hover'.....!!

Back