Grams to ml of honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfazer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can anyone confirm if this sounds correct please?

Googling tells me the density of honey 1.44g/cm3. (figures vary from 1.38 to 1.45)

Some jars are sold in their ml quantities, so if I want a jar to hold 340g of honey, I divide 340 by 1.44 and get 236ml jar size.

Does this sound about right?

Easier to buy some scales and weight than guesstimate.
It's not rocket science.

Can anyone confirm if this sounds correct please?

Googling tells me the density of honey 1.44g/cm3. (figures vary from 1.38 to 1.45)

Some jars are sold in their ml quantities, so if I want a jar to hold 340g of honey, I divide 340 by 1.44 and get 236ml jar size.

Does this sound about right?

Depends on water content. 16% will be heavier than 19.5% per ml. You need to weigh the jars as per bf.

Density = mass/volume
Volume = mass/density

This is a problem I have at work with quantifying earth removal. Different soils have different bulk densities. Topsoil may have a density of 1.4Mg/m³, clay may be 2.1Mg/m³, but they both vary based on composition. Movement of material is all priced on volume, with accurate densities being unknown, then material gets moved by weight... Urgh! Anyway, honey is the same in that sugar and water content varies (although not as much as earth).

In an equally confusing fashion, the 8oz jar I just filled with water only comfortably held 165ml. I was expecting it to hold 227ml (8oz being 227g), but it doesn't. Divide 227 by 1.33 and you get 162, not far off. Coincidentally, 1.33 is close to the factors you mentioned. Maybe 1.33 is the density of jam, I don't know.

I also saw one website that specifies jars as '370ml (1lb)' and '228ml (8oz)'. There's something wrong there if 1lb = 453g and 8oz = 227g. Traditionally, jar sizes are based on weight so it's probably best to ignore the volumes and buy jars based on advertised weights. If only volume is given, I'd assume this is volume of jam with a density of 1.33 and not water.

I buy jars advertised as holding a certain weight, I place one on the scale, tare (zero) the scale then add honey until I achieve the required weight (either 227g or 340g in my case).

Easier to buy some scales and weight than guesstimate.
It's not rocket science.
:yeahthat:
I can not recollect any producers selling honey by volume.
Selling by weight seems to be the norm.

* Difference in honey densities explains why the bottling plant has to be calibrated for every run!

Yeghes da

Suspect the jars the OPis looking at don't come with a weight guide on them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do not understand that ml selling.

Buy such jars which has gram label and then buy a kitchen scale.

I am not trying to sell honey by volume, nor make rocket science out of this.

I was asking because some glass suppliers use ml; their jars are not specifically sold for honey, so they use ml. It obviously suits them better than grams because the volume is always the constant, regardless of what's in the jar.

I was using mathematics because I thought it would easier than messing around with measuring cylinders and scales when I don't have the jars to try.

I know about the usual honey jar glass suppliers in GB, but was looking at others too; the shipping cost to where I live can be the deal breaker, rather than the price of the jar.

Thanks for the help.

I am not trying to sell honey by volume, nor make rocket science out of this.

I was asking because some glass suppliers use ml; their jars are not specifically sold for honey, so they use ml. It obviously suits them better than grams because the volume is always the constant, regardless of what's in the jar.

I was using mathematics because I thought it would easier than messing around with measuring cylinders and scales when I don't have the jars to try.

I know about the usual honey jar glass suppliers in GB, but was looking at others too; the shipping cost to where I live can be the deal breaker, rather than the price of the jar.

Thanks for the help.

I can now see where you are coming from!

Volumatic measurement in ml of the jar vs weight of honey in g..... and the differing sg of viscous liquids like honey!

Yeghes da

In theory, what you calculated would be correct, but I don't know how jar manufacturers are calculating their jar capacities. If I cut the waffle out of my earlier post...

... the 8oz jar I just filled with water only comfortably held 165ml. I was expecting it to hold 227ml (8oz being 227g), but it doesn't.

So, these jars are sold as holding 227g of what? It isn't water. Equally, how can you be sure that a jar advertised as holding 236ml would hold 340g of honey? It isn't something I've ever considered, as I've had no need to. I do understand your problem and would suggest contacting the manufacturer may be the safest bet.

Ask or if you have to buy a sample. Going to pay in the long run.

PH

one of the beautys of metric system, is that 1kg = 1litre. Im sure weight and liquid measuring work out to be equal. Am i wrong?? It might explain my baking disasters!!

one of the beautys of metric system, is that 1kg = 1litre. Im sure weight and liquid measuring work out to be equal. Am i wrong?? It might explain my baking disasters!!

Only for PURE water... a liter of full sea water weighs more, or a liter of lead... ask any diver!

Yeghes da

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back