grammer question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
just been talking to someone on the internet and we have had a conversation about the fact that i all ways calll a sheep a sheep even when I was referring to several hundred of them is there a corret plural of sheep??

sheep, sheep's, sheepies,sheps,
wooly things????

sheep is both singular and plural!;)

Maybe it should be Shipe.

lol my my partner is sheep mad, her email is sheepieee@ something or other :D

lol my my partner is sheep mad, her email is sheepieee@ something or other :D

According to G.F. Lamb (no pun intended) English for Schools ..........

plural of sheep is sheep

however the apostraphe rule still applies

Sheep's clothing ( clothing belonging to the singular sheep)

but sheeps' clothings ( lots of clothing belonging to more than one sheep )

Who actually cares? Most of the English speaking population can not spell!

Last edited:
So... are two sheep a flock . How many sheep to make a flock :D

For some reason it is mostly animals which have the same plural and singular - deer, fish, pike, trout but not always, e.g. mouse and mice and cow and cows.

Perhaps it is something to do with the animals we used to hunt for food? Early man was perhaps not so hot on grammar.

According to G.F. Lamb (no pun intended) English for Schools ..........

plural of sheep is sheep

however the apostraphe rule still applies

Sheep's clothing ( clothing belonging to the singular sheep)

but sheeps' clothings ( lots of clothing belonging to more than one sheep )

Who actually cares? Most of the English speaking population can not spell!

Huh? Perhaps G.F. Lamb is a sheep ...?

A noun in the plural that does not end in -s, add apostrophe s - eg: men's clothing, etc.

still have problems with plural, as my village dialect in mid Bedfordshire gave no plurals to any animals, something to do with being on the old watling street and danelaw boundary

so it was one cow, two cow, one dog tow dog ,one 'orse two 'orse until i got to grammar school when i started adding the S then confusion reigned one sheep two sheeps, one oxon, two oxons, a deer, several deers, a fish, three fishs

Last edited:
So when you ran into the fxxxxx sheep on your bicycle, you were referring to the FLOCK.

Now isn't that a bit reminiscent of the wool on their backs. Don't you just love those insects and etymology?

Yes, words fascinate me too.

Why is it ..."all the fishes in the sea" ?

He went out with his wife..... with whom did he go out?

can I go and lie down now?

still have problems with plural, as my village dialect in mid Bedfordshire gave no plurals to any animals, something to do with being on the old watling street and danelaw boundary

so it was one cow, two cow, one dog tow dog ,one 'orse two 'orse until i got to grammar school when i started adding the S then confusion reigned one sheep two sheeps, one oxon, two oxons, a deer, several deers, a fish, three fishs

People where I live have trouble with plurals if the noun ends with st as in vest which the plural of is pronounced" vesis "can't seem to get the tongue around vests :bigear:.

John Wilkinson

Don't you people realise the educational value of cartoons? The plural of sheep is 'sheepses'

Latest posts

Back