grafting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How crucial is it that the egg is the same way up in the new area as was in the comb?. What evidence is out there to say a rotated egg will fail?

Hi Heather

Don't you mean larvae, as you don't graft eggs.

Larvae should be kept same side up and not rolled up and down the cell wall first..............................:svengo:

Regards Ian

Last edited:
My preferred tool is the double crank Swiss stainless steel one.

I prefer it as if there is not that much royal jelly on the cell floor I can gently push down and slide under to get a clean pick up.

Also when landing the larvae into the cup I can push down into the wax to get a clean landing.

I know many prefer the brush but that is not so good in trickier conditions such as I am accustomed to.

PH

I take a dry twig from a bush and sharpen the end. Then I push the thin end to hook form.

Works fine.

I have also done that in the past Finman,as you say,works fine,but my favourite tool is a very fine sable artist brush,and do all my grafting in the cab of my truck,steering wheel is good place to rest the comb.

Only graft larvae Heather,i'm sure thats what you were meaning anyway.

Last edited:
If you feel that larva setting went wrong, you may put two larvae. Bees correct the situation and take another away.

Why I use a twig is that I need not to keep clean the tool. But the knife should be clean.

Yes, slip of tongue- and I find more success with a fine paint brush.

But why is it crucial not to turn it- if it is dropped off the brush onto the base of the cup

Last edited:
But why is it crucial not to turn it- if it is dropped off the brush onto the base of the cup

As I understand it from doing some last year it is because the larva breath on one side and not the other.

Mike.

Wrong way round and they die.

It is a good method Finman but is not good for cell handling.

PH

Heather

To answer your question if you turn the larvae around accidently or otherwise the spiracles are blocked and therefore the larvae cannot breathe.

Hope that helps.

GWW

Heather,

Forgot to mention we are running two queen raising course dates in May. If you are interested PM for further details.

GWW and Widders

I use a very fine glass pipette Works a treat.

regards;

Heather,

Forgot to mention we are running two queen raising course dates in May. If you are interested PM for further details.

GWW and Widders

I can recommend these, a good day of practical beekeeping and gossip, I mean talking bees....

Mike.

Number of colonies:3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather

As I understand it from doing some last year it is because the larva breath on one side and not the other.

Heather the larvae has 20 spiricles on its body ten on each side so it matters not what side the larvae is placed down because it will breath through the 10 spiricles that are uppermost.

Regards;

Heather the larvae has 20 spiricles on its body ten on each side so it matters not what side the larvae is placed down because it will breath through the 10 spiricles that are uppermost.

Regards;

I pass you back to GWW and await where he got his information.

Mike.

I did the Clive de Bruyn queen rearing course, thanks all the same for offers- and understood most - but it wasn't mentioned ( unless I blinked) about the turning of the larvae- makes sense- but Aaahhh -more tense during manipulation now..but looking forward to the challenge.

And any new beekeeper reading this - as we always say 'ask a question get 2 answers'- that's the joy of it. Not sure if pressure off or not- but am digging into anatomy books now- recently neglected

Last edited:
Spiricles above and below they may well have but they do not take well to being turned over.

PH

Spiricles above and below they may well have but they do not take well to being turned over.

PH

Its true ! If they get turned over then the spiracles facing the air are already covered in glupy royal jelly and their breathing will be impaired or stopped.
Why turn them over anyway as your more likeky to damage the delicate larvae ?

It would seem that we are all wrong.

From Snodgrass p230
the bee larva unlike adult ,makes no body movements of reparation, and consequently has no mechanical means of renewing air in its tracheae. It is probable therefore that oxygen diffuses into the traxheae. through the spiracles as it is absorbed by the carbon dioxide produced is eliminated through the skin. Also it is not improbable that some oxygen is taken in by cutaneous respiration.

So there we go, I think we have all learnt something here.

Regards;

Latest posts

Back