Grafting tools

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeWade

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all. Just tried grafting for the first time. Any recommendations on the best grafting tools? The cheap ones I bought weren't great.

Hi all. Just tried grafting for the first time. Any recommendations on the best grafting tools? The cheap ones I bought weren't great.

Strangely, I find the cheap Chinese grafting tools the best for the job. If this is your first time, perhaps you should just practice.

In my experience very few chinese grafting tools are fit for purpose, they need the reed to be sanded so they are more flexible. Jo May of little bits honey bees has a youtube video on how to take apart and sand the reed on a cheap chinese tool.It helped me, hope it helps you.

Yes I like the Chinese tools and find the 1s with the wire wrap around better than the full plastic, the soft tip is also good in new comb. Even used a cocktail stick with a slightly flattened chewed end. And yes I purchase the Chinese 1s 2-3 at a time as some just fall apart. I’ve never had to sand the ends. Ian

Try very fine artists brush

Attachments

• brush for grafting.JPG
    brush for grafting.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 28
Cheap Chinese grafting tools in my hands are a waste of money, but I have been using these and found them very good. They can be found on UK bee supply site as well as Fleabay I should add.
S

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Pcs-Que...645809?hash=item5da87bd331:g:HnUAAOSw~slcLu7W

They're actually the ones I meant. I bought a pack of ~30 from Simon The Beekeeper a while ago. Some are flexible but some are too stiff. I just pick one that feels right. If it doesn't work, I pick another - but most are ok.
This is a topic that gets "done to death" every year so it might be a good idea to look at the history.

I started with a double cranked SS tool and its what I have used ever since. I did try a retractable once out of curiosity but got nowhere with it and returned to the stainless steel one again. In fact it's been dusted off and going to be used in an hour or so.

PH

Yup 00 size brush has been my weapon of choice for twenty years.

I read to use 000 as 00 is too big? I actually ordered a 000 this morning as my last one broke before I could try it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. The sanding video is what I needed I think. The main problem I was having was that the wax was only drawn within last week and my Chinese tools were just going straight through the floor of the cells and not bending much. Ive just sanded one down and tested it and looking a lot better.

I’ve literally just come back from grafting a batch using a Chinese tool on a freshly drawn fame in fact on now wax I prefer them as they don’t puncture the bottom of the cell. Using the other end of the tool break down surrounding cell walls so you can get more of an angle on the tool.

Latest posts

Back