Grafting- How far ahead do you plan?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
I am due to graft this afternoon but slightly put off by the planned change in weather by the time queens are due to be ready for their mating flights. I was just curious to see if others consider this when raising queens or if I should not worry too much about it as they are likely to find suitable mating windows?

My plans for grafting are generally set in motion 9 days ahead when I put brood above a queen excluder, once I've set that plan in motion I disregard the forecast- mostly.

I am due to graft this afternoon but slightly put off by the planned change in weather by the time queens are due to be ready for their mating flights. I was just curious to see if others consider this when raising queens or if I should not worry too much about it as they are likely to find suitable mating windows?
Crack on…if you waited for a weather window none would get anything done!! It’s not July yet it could snow or be minus something next week😂 and you wonder why so many are imported😉

It will be around 3 weeks before your queens will be ready to go out and get mated and forecasts that far ahead are not reliable. However, the chances of getting a few decent days in the first 2 weeks of June are high so go for it.

Is that 100% take Ceri?
No, a few gaps, but over 40 well nourished cells from that box, I'm well pleased. The photos were taken about an hour and a half ago.
This is my third graft and I'd boosted the cell raiser with a Michael Palmer bee bomb after the second so thought they had enough oomph to raise four bars of cells themselves, I'd usually only let them finish two bars.

14 out of 20 for me first graft of season. These are from an island mated Branstrup queen .... the 4 yellow cell holders on the top bar were grafted by my 8year old daughter. She's well happy with her 3 out of 4 for her first ever go. Names are already for them if they mate.View attachment 31872View attachment 31872

I'm quite tempted to have a go at queen rearing. One of my Queens is a absolute beauty in temperament, laying and honey production. Something to have a read up on and look into further.

I'm quite tempted to have a go at queen rearing. One of my Queens is a absolute beauty in temperament, laying and honey production. Something to have a read up on and look into further.
Quite easy and you don't need to graft.

Quite easy and you don't need to graft.
No but it’s easier than many make out, Simons got his 8yr old doing it and I had a go aged 10!……those cell punches are handy for those with bad eyes though😉

No but it’s easier than many make out, Simons got his 8yr old doing it and I had a go aged 10!……those cell punches are handy for those with bad eyes though😉
Agreed. I was quite anxious the first time I did it but found it quite easy. I picked up on tips from others by using an older black frame, a head torch and sanded off the Chinese grafting tool.

the 4 yellow cell holders on the top bar were grafted by my 8year old daughter. She's well happy with her 3 out of 4 for her first ever go.
Hey Simon, did your daughter practice much or was 3 out of 4 without much practice? I was going to have a go at cell punching, my eyesight is OK, but this inspires me to try grafting, I am only looking to rear 4 or 5 queens. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back