Got some pics and a few questions!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
I collected my first colonies today. Travelling distance was around 120 miles, so safe with the 3 mile / 3 inch rule!

When I allowed the bees out in their new home, they erupted like the Icelandic volcano!!!

They came out at such a speed that I wanted to close the door again.

Bees mainly ran out and ran all over the hive. At one stage I wondered when they would stop coming out.

Below is later in the day when things settled down a little.

dscf0604n.jpg

I decided to pull off the restrictor so they could get in and out ok.

dscf0605yl.jpg

Their new home is somewhere I would like to live!

dscf0606io.jpg

Although its hard to see, the sea is in the bright area, I think the sun was bouncing off the sea and causing a blind spot.

dscf0607v.jpg

The hives are right on the edge of woodland.

dscf0610d.jpg

Later in the day I came back to check to see if they had settled down.

dscf0612x.jpg

And things were looking better, they seemed to like the lighting boards I made earlier!
dscf0613.jpg

Bees arrived at 9.30am and by 4 pm they were collecting stacks of pollen. I could see the flight path they established today.

I'm going to ask loads of questions in a new thread.

I would like to give my many thanks to Peter who made the sale of his bees easy and smooth.

Many Thanks

Cliff

good pics and im glad the move went ok.

They may have been very warm, hence the mass exit when the doors were open

Last edited:
Nice install.

Couple of quick questions

1. Package or 5 frame nuc ?

2. Are you feeding them sugar water ?

Neither.

I bought 2 full colonies. The brood box frames were full!

They were drawing super foundation, but only just started drawing.
About 2pm today, I put on a fast feeder on top of the super to encourage drawing the foundation. A quick peek at 6 pm, the bees were not interested in the feed.

One of my questions will be if I need to add a second brood box, do you put it above the existing brood or below it?

Both are very strong colonies and I think they need extra laying space.

My worry is that if I put a brood box of foundation, the bees will use it for honey stored and not use the super that has been started.

Any comments?

Cliff

Hi Cliff, im so pleased that every thing has gone well. Love the pictures.I hope you have a good season with your new bees and i will be watching your progess
on the forum.

Neither.

I bought 2 full colonies. The brood box frames were full!

Both are very strong colonies and I think they need extra laying space.

My worry is that if I put a brood box of foundation, the bees will use it for honey stored and not use the super that has been started.

Any comments?

Cliff

the brood box is full of what?...store and brood or just brood

i expect it is stores and brood, so say you have 7 brood and 4 stores then decapp the centre of most of the stores and the bees will move the honey to your super if they need room

second super...i assume you want to run brood and a half, so the QE will eventual define where the majority of the honey goes...you can decap ithe brood super store if it gets to many stores rather than brood

my own veiw is double brood or 14x12 is better than brood and ahalf...but other no doubt will disagree...we re beekeepers

Last edited:
Yes, I agree with you, I'm going for a double brood. A couple of reasons.

I'm going to move half the brood upstairs and put new foundation on the outsides of the brood.

I think this will also make it easier to split the hive later.

I'm still very much a novice so this may be the wrong thing to do??

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cliff

I wouldnt feed them to draw out super foundation as it may end up in the honey. As they are established colonies no need to feed unless they are very low on stores.

Latest posts

Back