Got my order delivered from Swienty the other day

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onge

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
9 Medium Poly, mostly foundation-less. Some run as Warre TBH
I am well pleased, very good service and fast delivery.

My kids were impressed too, in spite of the faces :)

You've got a hand full there , and I don't mean the bee hives :hat:.

John Wilkinson

Hi Onge

What did you get nat or lang.

Regards Ian

Lang I'm running all mediums.

I bet that delivery caused a few twitching curtains in the street.

I can only wish you a back breaking crop this season. They do get heavy.

Good news, they should keep you busy for a couple of hours. Now all you need is some bees!!

Mike.

Good news, they should keep you busy for a couple of hours. Now all you need is some bees!!

Mike.

:)

A combination of splits, nuc's, swarms and luck should do the trick.

:cheers2:

Do the kids get to choose the colours and do the painting?

Advice: restrict their choice to prevent lurid suprises. :)

Probably a combination of dark green and dark brown,(not much choice in masonry paint).

42 mediums, 12 floors, 12 roofs, one of them massive dadent smokers and some frames

I also have some more that I bought from another source that I have shown painted in another post. "a busy days painting".

No I would not let the kids paint them, it would be a disaster zone :)

Roll on spring.

Onge,

You said: A combination of splits, nuc's, swarms and luck should do the trick.

Lots of the latter!

Not going for a honey crop this year, then?

But we might be surprised and you achieve all the full colonies and some honey.

We must be in for a good summer, then? Nothing like being an optimist (and better than getting half a dozen and doing it with 'no sweat' at all).

The 'nucs' is the unknown-to-us variable. If you have, or are planning to buy, half a dozen that would be a good start and make things so much easier.

I wish you that luck, because if you can fill that lot, and some more, from three colonies, we should all be having a good year.

Regards, RAB

Making increase is easy with all mediums. I met a Bulgarian beekeeper earlier this month who was going over to this system as he was buillding up his colonies in order to turn semi-pro.

Once the coloney is into two bodies slip a queen excluder between them and after a few days you can quickly see where the queen is by the presence of eggs. Then take away the other box and introduce a new queen to it after a short delay.

Of course you can do this with full depth brood boxes but Langstroth Mediums, being a bit smaller, fill up more quickly. A Langstroth box of 10 Mediums gives almost exactly the same usuable brood area as a standard BS National box. I use the term "useable" as the Langstroth has fewer frames but in a poly hive the queen will use all of them whereas in a BS National wooden hive the queen will normally often ignore the outer frames.

The two Medium brood boxes, which is the standard way of running these colonies gives exactly the same brood area as a Jumbo Langstroth with the advantage of lower weight of the individual boxes and possibly improved horizontal movement of bees in the brood area due to the gap running through the middle between the upper and lower frames. This may reduce swarming due to improved transfer of queen substance but I am not aware of any research confirming this.

The Bulgarian called colonies on all mediums as the "Farrar" system. I can't find any reference to this other than a C L Farrar wrote about beekeeping many years ago. I would be interested for a specific reference if anyone knows it.

The queen will lay up the outer frame sides against the walls. Makes an odds that does...LOL

PH

Well I'm not going to use them all to start with.

Probably 6-8 ish colonies depending on what happens weather wise or luck wise.

There's nothing like having lots of spare gear to cover any swarming etc

There also cheaper if you buy above a certain number. :)

Latest posts

Back