Good sign or just hopeful?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birchdale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I made up a nuc early last week with a capped Q cell. Today I have seen pollen going in. I was going to have a quick peep inside today to see if the Q had emerged/had died in the cell etc, but far too cold......brrrrrrrrrrrr!! So is the pollen going in a positive sign of something going on?

I would say yes - I have 2 nucs that have emerged virgins in them and I am also hoping that the pollen going in is a sign that they now have brood - too cold even over here to have a look.

I am also hoping that when the sun does eventually come out that there isn't a mass swarming frenzy - they have been virtually housebound for 10 days and are probably getting up to all kinds of mischief:ack2:

I would say yes - I have 2 nucs that have emerged virgins in them and I am also hoping that the pollen going in is a sign that they now have brood - too cold even over here to have a look.

I am also hoping that when the sun does eventually come out that there isn't a mass swarming frenzy - they have been virtually housebound for 10 days and are probably getting up to all kinds of mischief:ack2:

I did an inspection on a four frame nuc yesterday (which had a spare, drawn frame of comb still to utilise) and it had 6 capped Queen cells in it!

Bees do what bees do.

Don't distrub them for 2-3 weeks.
The colony is still likely to be in a fragile state if you open them up now they could ball the queen trying to protect her and kill her or even abscond.

Incoming pollen is a good sign as they are preparing for the new brood they hope to have once the queen has mated which can take 2-3 weeks before you will see signs of eggs-larvae and sealed brood.

Resist the urge to open the nuc but by all means watch the entrance.
:)

On the other hand queenless colonies store lots of pollen. Fact.

Not pouring cold water but as advised leave them alone for three weeks and then have a pleasant surprise when you look and see slabs of brood.

I keep saying this at the moment but the most powerful tool in your kit is PATIENCE people.

Bees are not machines.

PH

Mike a and Poly Hive are RIGHT. Patience. Give them a chance to get going, get established. Continual interference is just that.

Look at that. Three in a row, all in agreement. Whatever next!

Regards, RAB

So much for the three weeks of boredom.

The little loves decided to swarm today.
I managed to get the main swarm back and popped them in a spare Hive,
but about an hour later I witnessed a second swarm.

This time instead of settling in a neighbours tree,
they decided to fly over the roof!
The last I saw of them they were flying up the centre of the main london road towards the motorway.

Sadly no sign of them now :(

Sorry to hear that Steve.

It happens as it only takes one missed QC on an inspection.

PS. The swarm I got yesterday was in Stubbington.

Well somewhere around the Cowplain/Horndean area there is a small swarm waiting to be found.
It wasnt all that large, so may not survive too well.

Latest posts

Back