Good quality frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorn

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It varies.
I'm not much good at woodworking, but I am able to assemble frames reasonably well. However, the lot I'm assembling at the moment are very poor, and make the job take twice as long as it should.
I don't know where they came from. My bee buddy sourced them. I'll get the next lot.
Who's selling really good frames at the moment?

Maisemore apiaries have their On-site sale (which, this year is actually a mail order sale) on 26,27,28th of June, their 'second quality' frames in bundles of 50 are second to none - all I ever buy nowadays

I bought some once that were very well made but not quite cut right and because they were such good quality they were a nightmare to manipulate. I actually like worse quality as they are easy to piece together. I had one side bit the other day that was very bowed but putting it on my aga overnight with loads of heavy books on top sorted that out. I can't remember where I got them from but I usually get mine from Maisemore as well.

I had both Thornes and Maisie second frames this year, the Thrones were better as they had less knots and were machined better so they slotted together more easily.

Always use thrones, buy a few thousand in Jan Sales every year.
We did get some pre-wired broods from Bee Equipment two years ago that were also very good.

i always buy Thornes seconds and use their wax foundation. I trade in my cappings wax for the foundation which saves a bundle. Frames i get in the sale in bundles of 50. dirt cheap.

Well I found the opposite, Thornes were more ill fitting than Maisemore. Maisemore also feel like they have a bit more meat in them.
Best frames I ever bought were from NBS. Proper, solid frames that were perfect … but expensive.
Maisemore get my vote for frames, wax or boxes.

Kemble Bees for frames and foundation for me. Nice match between frames and foundation and the quality of the wax is superb.

Well I found the opposite, Thornes were more ill fitting than Maisemore. Maisemore also feel like they have a bit more meat in them.
Best frames I ever bought were from NBS. Proper, solid frames that were perfect … but expensive.
Maisemore get my vote for frames, wax or boxes.

:iagree: I've found the tolerances on Thorne's frames and boxes over tight leading to occasional splits when tapping them together.

Maisemore frames and wax for me. Excellent quality, always get it on sale.

Kemble Bees for frames and foundation for me. Nice match between frames and foundation and the quality of the wax is superb.

I forgot KBS, best foundation by a country mile but not the same discounts with bulk orders as other suppliers which is why my association discontinued. Shame.

I'm not much good at woodworking, but I am able to assemble frames reasonably well. However, the lot I'm assembling at the moment are very poor, and make the job take twice as long as it should.
I don't know where they came from. My bee buddy sourced them. I'll get the next lot.
Who's selling really good frames at the moment?
I used to buy 'seconds,' but often found them difficult to work with. All my last lot of frames have come from Simon the Beekeeper. Good price and good quality. They have been excellent and their delivery of items is second to non. I just received 110 super wax foundation sheets in under three days!

I usually buy from Thrones but the best I've had were from NBS. Perfect fitting every time. Their stuff is excellent but at a premium.

I do agree that Thornes frames are a little tight, but I buy seconds and expect to do a little manipulating when assembling them. I pre-drill all the nail holes so avoid splitting the wood and shave a tiny slither off two opposite corners of the bottom bars. It's all a bit time consuming but I save money by buying seconds.

Latest posts

Back