Good day today.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKemp

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
So I have had my colony for just over 2 weeks. A 6 frame nuc transferred to national. Last week after a quick inspection I put on a super. Today super is 8 frames full and about half capped! Now down below, all looks good and plenty of brood. A few frames of capped honey and pollen stores.

Found the queen, picked her up and marked her. Lovely feeling.

20190720_200917.jpg

I am very happy for you.

So your 6 frame nuc drew out all the comb in the brood, then drew all the comb in a super, and filled it to about 50%? Or was it pre-drawn comb in the super?

Its not I don't believe you. I am a new bee keeper myself so am interested in your progress.

I have had my bees for 6 weeks, starting with a 5 frame national nuc. I have had a super (all new foundation) on for about 2 weeks, and they have hardly touched it.

They have drawn out about 90% of the comb in the Brood (11 + dummy).

I have had queen cells pretty much every week. I left one last week and they swarmed today!

Lovely picture BTW.

You make marking the queen sound so easy. I got mine pre-marked, but may have to mark one soon.

Hi Bobba,

Got a 6 fr Nuc nearly 3 weeks ago. Transferred to National with un-drawn new foundation. Fed 2.5l sugar/syrup in first week then same following week (as recommended by the breeder).

By then they had drawn practically all the new brood comb so popped a super on. 8 out of the 10 are drawn (again this was new foundation) most of the 8 have honey and approx 50% of those are capped.

I think I've been lucky! They are certainly foraging well and a busy hive entrance every day.

As for marking the Queen.....I was scared as anything. Not worried about being stung but didn't want to damage her. I placed a marking ring around her first but was hard to see her. Took it off and picked her up. Hard bit was holding her, balancing the brood frame and opening the paint! Oh and using the 5th hand to actually paint with!.

Sorry about your swarm, hope you manage to get them back

Congatulations!
Enjoy that feeling of success. (There will be times when you will have to think back and remenber it!)
Good luck with the rest of your season.

Latest posts

Back