good and bad new modern hive designs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think on balance it was a mistake to have posted here. My error.

No, it wasn't a mistake.

There are plenty of people who might not say much but who are very interested in what you're doing, and who will want to know how it turns out. So please keep us all updated with your progress.

Some bees have found a new hive

bees in pheasant feeder.jpg

bees close up in pheasant feeder.jpg

There are plenty of people who might not say much but who are very interested in what you're doing, and who will want to know how it turns out. So please keep us all updated with your progress.

And hopefully they will not be put off by some claim/suggestion that taking nucleus colonies through the winter is 'in its infancy' and also they will go out and buy polynucs for their requirements, to make over-wintering nucs easy peasy.

Another hive for this thread:
http://www.keepingbackyardbees.com/appalachian-rotatable-beehive/

bee-hive-3-e1423632315146-225x300.jpg
bee-hive-4-e1423632191923-225x300.jpg

those have been on a little while, i dont like the idea of the insulation boards they are using, have used a similar stuff in building and boy it makes you itch

those have been on a little while, i dont like the idea of the insulation boards they are using, have used a similar stuff in building and boy it makes you itch

Just one of a few problems with it ... the top and bottom ventilation and the holes in the roof .. the landings for the frames don't look too great, the walls look a bit on the thin side (although PIR is probably better insulation than the equivalent thickness of timber). I don't like the locating rebate at the top of the boxes as I think the bees will have a field day gluing them together and it will be almost impossible to separate them. The handholds look quite deep considering the thickness of the walls..

Pity really as it's quite a cheap hive if it wasn't for the flaws ..

I don't like the locating rebate at the top of the boxes as I think the bees will have a field day gluing them together and it will be almost impossible to separate them.

Or put them together without squashing bees; one of the reasons I gave up on my MB boxes.

Or put them together without squashing bees; one of the reasons I gave up on my MB boxes.

You have the wrong type of bees:)

I squash roughly the same numbers using wooden hives as I do using my single MB poly...:paparazzi:

Latest posts

Back