Going rate for bulk honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This area will stand £3-50 per 1 lb jarred , should be able to work it out from that .
Deduct cost of jar /label and a % to give retailer a profit (food stuffs are on quite a small mark up!)

John Wilkinson

This area will stand £3-50 per 1 lb jarred , should be able to work it out from that .
Deduct cost of jar /label and a % to give retailer a profit (food stuffs are on quite a small mark up!)

John Wilkinson

Hi john,
was getting £3.75 for 340g but quite a bit left over from last year, this year i have 6 x 15 kilo buckets spare and was wondering what bulk prices where if i was to sell all, i know i wouldn't get as much as selling single jars but just wondered if it would be worth it rather than be left with more than i can sell.

Chalkie,

I would hang on to it if I were you. After all, it isn't going to go off and you might not get so much next year.

Meg

I thought £3 a lb a reasonable price for bulk honey sales.....but didnt get a sale ....yet.

I thought £3 a lb a reasonable price for bulk honey sales.....but didnt get a sale ....yet.

Chap in my club sells it at £5/lb to his local farm shop. They sell it at £7.50lb.

I was amazed it would sell at those prices until he told me they cleared all 48 jars in under 24 hours.

Adam

Lol adam do you have the number of the shop? :cheers2:

My mentor knocks his outfor at least £5 a lb and shifts lots. In fact, he had a stall at my allotment society's annual festival and shifted loads.

He recently worried one of his outlets wasn't selling as much as it may have dropped the price. Local honey does taste better than the stuff in the supermarkets, and people associate premium prices with premium quality.

We pay around £3 per lb when we buy in bulk (depending on type, quality etc). (If you've got any to sell please PM me).
We find that our customers are willing to pay quite a lot for honey if it is marketed properly and presented well and sold in the right outlets.
It is making your product stand out from the others that allows you to charge that bit extra. Bog standard jars and labels lower the price you can sell for even if the honey inside is excellent.

Selling in bulk, is just that surely. A nice label on the drum isn't likely to impress the high street customer.

I assume that the extra value that Great British Honey adds to a premier coarse strained product, filtering, bottling, labelling etc? We wouldn't be selling to a retail customer, but to GBH (Hmmm), probably because bottling, labelling etc. is not what members selling in bulk choose to do.

Drums, UN 210 litre certified, will have crystallized by now of course and members may have little or no drum handling equipment, but as a major honey distribution hub I assume this is pretty much standard practice for you.

£3 per lb is a reasonable bulk price, but you would need to be a little more specific regarding pricing as honey in this sort of quantity is unlikely to be monofloral . . .

It could be argued that the presentation, outlets and making it stand out on the shelf for the retail customer is more of a consideration for your department than ours?

Hi Hombre,

My comments about presentation etc were just general observations about what we find makes honey interesting to a customer that I thought might be helpful to those who intend to bottle and sell their honey direct to customers or to delis, farm shops etc.
We find that customers at farmers markets will easily pay £6 for a lb jar if it looks "pretty".
Obviously, this doesn't apply if you are selling in bulk.

I cannot agree more GBH. Presentation needs to be first class as of course so does the product, and it is a fact, sad though it may be but honey which is properly clean and creamed benefits from machinery. Kit that the average person neither has space for nor the investment.

However having done the best you can with the honey, a different jar from the squat pound is a very good investment in your price point. Not to mention a professional label.

PH

does any one in 20 mile radius of lincoln buy honey?
regards paul

Latest posts

Back