Going into winter without a queen?????

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
So after a period of being doubtful about
my queen and the apparent failure of the hive to supperceed in August... hatched queen cells at beginning of August but no brood by the beginning of Sept. I tried re_queening on Sept 7
A quick check 15 days later and I'm sure there was capped brood.. put in some alpiagaurd and swapped a frame for an empty drawn one because I was concerned my suplementry feeding strategy had gone aray. Ie no space. A check today reveals sufficient space (polished cells) but no brood or capped cells . 14×12 + supper with stores , noted a couple of bees bringing in yellow/Orange pollen. no evidence of varora on inspection board......I haven't seen my queen for 2 years but this one if im right and there was capped broods is marked .
What are.my options ..it's my only hive?

Newcastel upon tyne

Sounds like you will just have to hope all is ok, a bit late now to do much else. You saw some capped brood after the introduction of the marked queen so thats good, this is the time of year for brood breaks. On 14x12 you don't usually need a super of stores; as long as there is some space in the brood box for pollen , stores and brood it should be fine, I take it that the brood box was overfull with syrup/fondant? The hive has had a goodly period without brood so the varroa should be very low.

Agree with Murox - tuck them up for the Winter and hope for the best. They’ll probably surprise you.

Thankyou for the responses. So far they have continuously surprised me . I probebly over managed them the first year. But still.lost a swarm ended up with to 2 hives the second year . Then i was working away so they were more or less left to their own devices year 3 . And i went into last winter with only 1 week hive. But it survived and built up well in the spring produceing lots of early honey but then seemed to stagnate with no brood. hence the decision to requeen. Ive decided to bite the bulet and orderd a nuke for spring.

Thankyou for the responses. So far they have continuously surprised me . I probebly over managed them the first year. But still.lost a swarm ended up with to 2 hives the second year . Then i was working away so they were more or less left to their own devices year 3 . And i went into last winter with only 1 week hive. But it survived and built up well in the spring produceing lots of early honey but then seemed to stagnate with no brood. hence the decision to requeen. Ive decided to bite the bulet and orderd a nuke for spring.
Here's hoping it all goes well for you.

Polished cells sounds good. Fingers X

Back