GMT

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apple

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Planning our next seasons massive initiative on queen rearing native black Cornish Amm bees

Nobody seems to bee able to confirm if we are going with the EU and not going on an hour to the old BST in March.

Not that the bees will notice... just what time SWMBO puts out crib??

20190214_195859.jpg

Brexit has caused so many problems...... early onset madness!

Chons da

Whatever, being traditionalists, my bees will all be resetting their watches in March. Their mobile phones will of course update automatically
Mine use GPS.

Being more northerly I would choose permanent standard time - also called winter time - The European Parliament backed a proposal to stop the one-hour clock changes extending daylight hours in summer EU-wide – of course the UK couldn't adopt the same principle if the EU does decide that, how could the government blagg through that change.

Have you ever visited the Royal Observatory in Greenwich? I recommend it. You will discover what time is, how it is measured and why timezones exist.
The global time system is based on Greenwich as the ground-zero. It makes no sense at all to then move UK time away from that. BST was introduced during WW1 to maximise daylight use for farmers. It is also retained mostly to make the evenings lighter and improve pedestrian safety. GMT (UTC) makes more sense in winter.
Is it really that inconvenient to change twice a year, especially as many clocks change automatically these days?

BST was introduced during WW1 to maximise daylight use for farmers. It is also retained mostly to make the evenings lighter and improve pedestrian safety. GMT (UTC) makes more sense in winter.
So it's only been around for little over a century
How did they manage before then?
the pedestrian safety argument doesn't really hold water because the evenings end up darker instead
It would make sense to be a bit more in line with the rest of Europe (just because we are no longer part of the EU, doesn't mean we have to paint ourselves as pariahs) having had to work for years in UTC regardless of the time of year, it was an absolute PITA having to add an hour here, two there just to make sense of a working day when there wasn't much difference in when the sun set for any of us.

the pedestrian safety argument doesn't really hold water because the evenings end up darker instead
It would make sense to be a bit more in line with the rest of Europe (just because we are no longer part of the EU, doesn't mean we have to paint ourselves as pariahs) having had to work for years in UTC regardless of the time of year, it was an absolute PITA having to add an hour here, two there just to make sense of a working day when there wasn't much difference in when the sun set for any of us.
we are not in any special time zone, we are just a little island that insists on being awkward just for the sake of it.

Before the global time system was introduced, everyone worked to local time i.e. it is noon when the sun is due South. That worked just fine until the railways were built. In order to have a meaningful timetable, GMT was introduced and then later Greenwich was adopted as the centre of the world. The modern world simply could not work without UTC. The local variations to time zones eg BST are for local reasons

The modern world simply could not work without UTC. The local variations to time zones eg BST are for local reasons
A very good argument for having a British Standard time then - all year around

Being more northerly I would choose permanent standard time - also called winter time - The European Parliament backed a proposal to stop the one-hour clock changes extending daylight hours in summer EU-wide – of course the UK couldn't adopt the same principle if the EU does decide that, how could the government blagg through that change.
I'm with you. If we were on BST all year round, it would mean it was pitch black until after 9am in the winter. Try getting kids into school in the dark every morning. It must be even worse further north. At least it is lightish at both ends of the day for them. Over a century ago, you wouldn't have the number of kids going to and from school and contending with the amount of traffic so that argument is not relevant to modern society.

Last edited:
The European Parliament backed a proposal to stop the one-hour clock changes extending daylight hours in summer EU-wide – of course the UK couldn't adopt the same principle if the EU does decide that
Of course not - our purpose on this earth is to be damned awkward
There's been wars fought over the universal time constant doncha know!? 😁

I'm with you. If we were on BST all year round, it would mean it was pitch black until after 9am in the winter. Try getting kids into school in the dark every morning. It must be even worse further north. At least it is lightish at both ends of the day for them. Over a century ago, you wouldn't have the number of kids going to and from school and contending with the amount of traffic so that argument is not relevant to modern society.

Admittedly darker in the mornings, but sunrise will have shifted by that hour within a month anyway even in Campbell town.

There's no reason why work, and school, shouldn't start at different times in different parts of the UK. Why not start school at 10:00 GMT and finish at 16:00? I would have thought the SNP would have jumped on this one, even if no-one else did. Mrs. A and I start work when we need to and finish when we can. If she's got a call with California then she finishes later; if she's talking to Singapore then she starts earlier. People working in factories and so on could do the same.

All the farmers I've ever known do what needs to be done, when it needs to be done, whether it's a Sunday morning or a Tuesday evening. It's only if your management lives in a different area and has no idea of your hours, then there's a problem. I have had to explain to my boss that just because it's sunny in Hampshire doesn't mean it's sunny in Yorkshire; eventually he got the point.

It's only if your management lives in a different area and has no idea of your hours, then there's a problem.
Reminded me of a story my first commander, the late 'Mad' Mike Rees from Marloes told me of when he started on the boats in the seventies - no mobiles, wireless communications restricted to VHF or flags. They had to call in to our HQ at the Custom House in London (permanently vacated by us last Friday after being there since Christopher Wren handed the keys over) from a phonebox each morning, apparently the head then had never ever sailed anything other than a desk, the archetypal bowler hatted umbrella wielder. One morning, they were storm bound in Wick, no chance of sailing anywhere. 'But Mr Rees' came his reply 'I'm looking out of my window and it's dry,calm and sunny'

There's no reason why work, and school, shouldn't start at different times in different parts of the UK. Why not start school at 10:00 GMT and finish at 16:00? I would have thought the SNP would have jumped on this one, even if no-one else did. Mrs. A and I start work when we need to and finish when we can. If she's got a call with California then she finishes later; if she's talking to Singapore then she starts earlier. People working in factories and so on could do the same.

All the farmers I've ever known do what needs to be done, when it needs to be done, whether it's a Sunday morning or a Tuesday evening. It's only if your management lives in a different area and has no idea of your hours, then there's a problem. I have had to explain to my boss that just because it's sunny in Hampshire doesn't mean it's sunny in Yorkshire; eventually he got the point.

So, stick with GMT (UTC) all year and vary the working day to suit the season? Then no-one has to perform that onerous, difficult, tedious and annoying clock adjustment every six months.
Of course you will still have to change your alarm clock to get up on time, and adjust all the rotas and shift shedules, heating controls, TV schedules, transport timetables and a hundred other things...
:unsure:

Admittedly darker in the mornings, but sunrise will have shifted by that hour within a month anyway even in Campbell town.
Campbelltown is a City located in New South Wales, Australia.
Campbeltown however is a town in Argyll and Bute, Scotland. It lies by Campbeltown Loch on the Kintyre peninsula.
Maybe if its not too grey sunrise is around 0845 in the middle of December, by the middle of February its about 0745.

Latest posts

Back