Glueing frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onge

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
9 Medium Poly, mostly foundation-less. Some run as Warre TBH
Hi all

I have never bothered glueing my frames as well as nails.

I have a big batch of frames and intend to keep them for a while using a steamer to recycle and sterilize them every couple of years.

Do you lot reckon its worth going to the trouble of glueing and nailing.

or would nailing be sufficient.

Hi I have never even thought of glueing frames as I always thought that the bees would do this anyway, I have never had the any problems with frames falling apart unless they where realy old ones which I would replace any way , I always keep the old frames for my brother who has a wood burning stove and these act as firelighters once lit.

Grub

never glue, because i buy thornes 14x12 seconds and as they are seconds you can get some warping of the long bits at knots

so cheeper to take out a pin and replace one bit than through away a whole glued frame if it warps

in super Sn1 they get so much abuse extracting and getting sticky, proplised that i throw them away after a couple of years rather than clean them

Last edited:
Any more opinions?

Bump.

I have 14x12 seconds from Thornes and always glue mine. I also glue the frames for the supers too. It only takes a second to dab some glue on the shoulders of the side bars.

I sometimes sand off the sticky out bits that the machine leaves on the side bars.

Maybe I have too much time on my hands :)

Here's the experience.

When I started I glued and pinned. I made a jig to get them all square.

Now I make them up more on an 'as required' basis and square them with foundation and don't glue them. Used to nail but now often staple instead (nail gun packed in). Once drawn, they are fixed.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back