gloves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alternatively, get bees that are less aggressive.
The same points come up year after year on this forum: people saying how wonderful their local bees are so they don't need to buy in queens....then, later in the year...people talking about how swarmy and stingy they have become. If more people joined the dots they'd see that the answer to all these things is to get better bees.

You could sign up to this mantra if you are prepared to keep putting money in someone's bank account.
Alternatively, you could work with and improve your local bees, which is far more interesting and worthwhile and more importantly, you do not perpetuate the contamination of local gene pools with foreign sub species or man made hybrids.
It is the continued introduction that causes the grief, without it your bees can be quite lovely. Fact.

I personally hate these groups that forbid gloves. What a way to put new beekeepers off. If you don't want to wear gloves it should be a personal preference after some experience is gained.

I haven't heard of anyone in any BKA who forbids gloves, Eric.

When beginners hear of the drawbacks of thick leather and the benefits of thin nitrile or marigold it's a done deal, and they leave with greater confidence, smoother handling and a better understanding of disease control.

Does help that our training apiary is managed by two queen and nuc producers who adopt a pro approach to good stock.

Avon Skin So Soft Original sprays are even better.. I have used both.Avon not only deters bees -but helps keep your hands soft (!) and makes propolis removal easier.. As used by the Army on exercises in Scotland to deter midges...

Avon also smells better...which is important till I light a smoker and can smell nothing but smoke.....

Yes well known around here, trouble is its nearly always 'sold out', There is another product - not Avon - called Smidge, it works extremely well for midges etc - never tried it with the bess, I might give it a go on a glove to see the result.

Yes well known around here, trouble is its nearly always 'sold out', There is another product - not Avon - called Smidge, it works extremely well for midges etc - never tried it with the bess, I might give it a go on a glove to see the result.

Lots on ebay

I haven't heard of anyone in any BKA who forbids gloves, Eric.

When beginners hear of the drawbacks of thick leather and the benefits of thin nitrile or marigold it's a done deal, and they leave with greater confidence, smoother handling and a better understanding of disease control.

Does help that our training apiary is managed by two queen and nuc producers who adopt a pro approach to good stock.

Really sorry, I misread your post. I missed out the ....other than nitrile bit....I only saw the ....forbids gloves.... bit. When I wrote that I wore gloves in the BBKA mag I got feedback that I shouldn't be encouraging people to wear gloves and that they should be being encouraged not to wear veils either! so it was a a bit of a sore point!
No problem!
E

Really sorry, I misread your post. I missed out the ....other than nitrile bit....I only saw the ....forbids gloves.... bit. When I wrote that I wore gloves in the BBKA mag I got feedback that I shouldn't be encouraging people to wear gloves and that they should be being encouraged not to wear veils either! so it was a a bit of a sore point!
No problem!
E

All very well for those who are raising local bees from local stock which never stings..

(to conflate two issues :paparazzi::paparazzi::paparazzi:)

I'll get my coat...

what is recommended for sting proof gloves , I wear cow hide with nitrile gloves underneath but still get stung on the knuckle area

I was in exactly the same situation several years ago and found Showa 306 gloves on Fleabay. I also use a cotton liner inside the glove and never get stung through them.
Best tip I ever had though was to use sweat bands over the cuff of the glove with the sleeve tucked underneath. Stops the gap between the glove and the sleeve being exposed to stings works brilliantly for me.

I tried Marigolds and they dont agree with my skin bringing my hands out in rashes, thus I learned I have a mild latex allergy. Initially I thought it was a heat issue.

Discovered lakeland deluxe latex free gloves which have solved my particular problem. They also have a reasonable length cuff.

I think if they could make a glove with the back of the hand made with ventilated material however it would be really useful.

I was in exactly the same situation several years ago and found Showa 306 gloves on Fleabay. I also use a cotton liner inside the glove and never get stung through them.
Best tip I ever had though was to use sweat bands over the cuff of the glove with the sleeve tucked underneath. Stops the gap between the glove and the sleeve being exposed to stings works brilliantly for me.

Should have read Showa 377 Gloves

Lakeland Deluxe Latex Free Washing Up Gloves. Lots of sizes.
Not expensive, have a lining to stop hands getting sweaty, thin enough to be sensitive to the bee handling, but stings rarely get through. Wash in your bucket between each hive inspection.

No problem!
E

Criticising your use of appropriate PPE is outrageous, moronic feedback Enrico. You wrote articles for beginners at the request of other people. “Making any 'workplace' safe includes providing instructions, procedures, training and supervision to encourage people to 'work' safely and responsibly.” You illustrate those requirements admirably and give insights into beekeeping. The type of PPE is perhaps a more personal choice as is whether or not you use it. I sincerely hope that the comments did not originate from the.BBKA.

Criticising your use of appropriate PPE is outrageous, moronic feedback Enrico. You wrote articles for beginners at the request of other people. “Making any 'workplace' safe includes providing instructions, procedures, training and supervision to encourage people to 'work' safely and responsibly.” You illustrate those requirements admirably and give insights into beekeeping. The type of PPE is perhaps a more personal choice as is whether or not you use it. I sincerely hope that the comments did not originate from the.BBKA.

Unfortunately there are a lot of beeks that seem to have a very macho approach to keeping bees, wearing their aggressive bees and the number of stings they receive as a badge of honour.
People should be free to wear whatever they feel comfortable using, its bxxger all to do with anyone else!
S

Criticising your use of appropriate PPE is outrageous, moronic feedback

That's the problem with allowing, nay, welcoming the usual sanctimonious self righteous sandal wearing bee havers - they probably also demand they wear tailored waistcoats and peaky blinder flat caps:D

I was half hoping they would publish his comments and my reply but they didn't! I have no idea where it came from, I was just shown the body of the message in case I wanted to comment! The next one out this month is my last one. Fun doing it and it proves they are open minded enough to publish my weird ways off beekeeping so I am sure if anyone else fancied writing an article they would welcome the input. It must be difficult trying to find knew stuff to put in a monthly magazine!
E

Avon Skin So Soft Original sprays are even better.. I have used both.Avon not only deters bees -but helps keep your hands soft (!) and makes propolis removal easier.. As used by the Army on exercises in Scotland to deter midges...

How does it keep your hands soft if you spray it on your gloves - or have I missed the point?

Tried olbas oil its very good no bees come near my gloves , also tried Jungle insect repellent works as well sent for the Avon one to try
Thanks every one for the info

How does it keep your hands soft if you spray it on your gloves - or have I missed the point?

I spray my hands. I only wear gloves when the hive is nasty.

Latest posts

Back