Gloves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJB

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Hi, could anyone point me to a decent pair of gloves for a beginner ? i read a thread on here about some blue ones on Ebay but for the life of me i can't find it,

thanks!

Are you referring to disposable gloves ?

I purchase and use these disposable gloves.

http://www.sentinel-laboratories.co...rile-xtra-gloves-disposable-gloves-97610.html

Be careful if trying to compare with eBay or Amazon, the above are Extra-Long Cuffs, and very handy for tucking you bee-suit cuffs in the stop the bees going up your sleeves.

They are manufactured by Kimberly-Clark, used in laboratories, some may consider these expensive compared to what's being sold in the BLUE on eBay, Thorne, but these are slightly thicker, but still quite thin, so you can feel and manipulate bees.

Oh, and Bees still sting through these!

So it depends on what you are after and your confidence level at manipulations.

I think the "cow leather gauntlets" that look like you should be handling radioactive flasks are a bit old fashioned today, and should be avoided! (difficult to clean, cannot handle bees/frames/manipulate well) - but maybe handy if you have bees from hell! (that attack you and you need a pair of disposals, and two pairs of leather gloves! - not fun!)

Anyway, that's what I use. I also use them for gardening, painting, car mechanics....

Last edited:
Are you referring to disposable gloves ?

Be careful if trying to compare with eBay or Amazon, t

Oh, and Bees still sting through these!

depends on your confidence level at manipulations.

Very NEW as I'm yet to handle Bees, so just getting ready. To start it would be a bonus to avoid getting stung but i know its part of the course!

thanks for the reply

Simon the Beekeeper sells blue latex gauntlets. Could these be what you're thinking of?
I'm waiting for a pair to be delivered. I've found that after a while leather gloves seem to retain the trace of stings, and attract more. Marigold type gloves tear too easily. Hopefully, the blue latex pair will prove stronger than the latter, and more easily washable than the former.

I've recently ordered some gloves off Simonthebeekeeper website the ventilated gauntlets, I've always used marigolds or latex gloves but I'm really enjoying these gloves and there not expensive.

If you worried about hygiene you can also just latex glove over hide gloves as well I bought myself 2 pairs :D.

Find something you are comfortable and confident with, when handling bees.

Maybe a bit difficult, as you've not handled them yet.

I dispose of mine after every sessions. (well I re-use them for car mechanic work, painting, and gardening!) but not the bees again.

Find something you are comfortable and confident with, when handling bees.

Maybe a bit difficult, as you've not handled them yet.

I dispose of mine after every sessions. (well I re-use them for car mechanic work, painting, and gardening!) but not the bees again.

ok thanks

Hi, could anyone point me to a decent pair of gloves for a beginner ? i read a thread on here about some blue ones on Ebay but for the life of me i can't find it,

thanks!

I prefer no gloves, so you can feel what you are doing, but in certain hives, it is not a good idea as they have sprayed propolis over everything and it then impedes other manipulations.

I use the cheap nitrile ones and they are perfectly adequate, but the thicker ones suggested are undoubtedly of greater quality.

These are the ones I bought recently for each of my three apiary sites.

Very NEW as I'm yet to handle Bees, so just getting ready. To start it would be a bonus to avoid getting stung but i know its part of the course!

thanks for the reply

DO NOT get those heavy gauntlets if you are learning, as you need to understand how to manipulate the frames and wearing those things will give you a false sense of security.

Most of the people I know who insisted on them tend to bang around their equipment, which is not conducive to relaxed inspections.

I have a pair in the cupboard for dealing with a defensive hive but not for manipulations, only if I have to do something which requires moving boxes around or an extended visit. Thankfully, they get used rarely.

If you want some protection for peace of mind, get some Marigolds, but don't expect not to get stung. The more you get stung, the better you will become at handling the bees in order to avoid being stung.

Get samples first before you choose a size.

thanks!

If you can visit a farm equipment shop in dairy country, obtain milking gloves there. It is also probable that these can also be obtained on the internet. They are disposable and inexpensive.

Switching from leather to nitriles revolutionised my beekeeping experience. Suddenly I had nice bees without the need for requeening!

I use Marigolds and she doesn't seem to mind.

Something like this: http://www.fanevalleystores.com/product/3250803/febra-lc-long-cuff-nitrile-milking-gloves-pack-of-50
My local Fane Valley outlet has a different variety of long cuff milking gloves but in boxes of 100. They do not seem to be shown in their online store. Go for the long cuff variety - you will be glad of the ability to pull the gloves well up over your sleeves.

Wow, that's expensive. Try www.theglovestore.co.uk/bodyguards-powder-free-blue-nitrile-long-cuff-gloves-gl891.html
- 1/2 the price. I get several wears out of them. I wash them in washing soda between colonies, turn them inside out and wear at the next inspection, then they go into the wash with my suit ready for the next visit. Great value.

I'm lucky if the ordinary nitriles last one inspection before tearing.

If you want some protection for peace of mind, get some Marigolds, but don't expect not to get stung. The more you get stung, the better you will become at handling the bees in order to avoid being stung.

I agree that Marigolds are a very good compromise between protection and being able to feel what you are doing.

I make sure that I wash them after use and they do not seem to retain sting pheromone. I did try some blue food hygiene ones but the colour seemed to attract bees a lot more than the yellow one.

Yes, you can feel stings but they do not seem to be able to inject much venom and soon fade away.

As psafloyd says, good training aid:)

Latest posts

Back