Gloves...true marigolds or just that genre of clove?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardK

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ideally 3 to 5.
I've read in various places that some people use marigolds as their bee keeping gloves. Are people using the term marigolds a bit like a 'hoover'? i.e. general washing up rubber gloves. Or are true marigolds some sort of protection nirvana for inspections?

I want to move away from the leather gloves I use right now and like the sound of marigolds / marigolds + nitrile solution. What I like is a better sense of touch, yet still reasonably protected.

If I need gloves more robust than nitriles I use long cuff bathroom gloves. Marigold happen to make them, yes but it is indeed a “hoover” description

Yes I just use it as a generic term for yellow washing up gloves. Mine fit just as well as the thinner nitrile gloves, so still nice and dexterous.

Not sting proof, but perhaps focuses you to be nice and gentle. Tried leather gloves like you and hated them - no dexterity and once they recognise it as 'skin' they all pile in once one stings. I don't think they see rubber gloves as quite the same target.

I've read in various places that some people use marigolds as their bee keeping gloves. Are people using the term marigolds a bit like a 'hoover'? i.e. general washing up rubber gloves. Or are true marigolds some sort of protection nirvana for inspections?

I want to move away from the leather gloves I use right now and like the sound of marigolds / marigolds + nitrile solution. What I like is a better sense of touch, yet still reasonably protected.

Hoover

But Marigold Extra Life Kitchen Gloves (plus gauntlets) are my current favourite. Thicker, so stings often don't even penetrate to the skin. A good first step for someone taking the move away from the perceived safety of leather gloves.

Last edited:
Pleased you want to move away from leather gloves which are best suited to pruning the roses rather than beekeeping. You will find that the thinner the gloves are, the better you can feel what you are doing and you will crush less bees as a result. Branded Marigolds last longer than the cheap ones which don't last as long. You can feel what you are doing well with thin nitrile ones. Maybe work your way down as you gain confidence? They are sufficiently slippery that bees don't get a good foot-hold and stings are very rare.
Leather gloves also get propolised and can carry disease.

I use rubber gloves, if you do try them make sure there tight around your hands because they can quite easily get wedged under lugs when you return frames.
Washing them regularly in-between hives keeps the propolis from making them a sticky pita.

If I need gloves more robust than nitriles I use long cuff bathroom gloves. Marigold happen to make them, yes but it is indeed a “hoover” description
Marigold's long cuff bathroom gloves ( the blue ones) are excellent, but at the risk of repeating myself, do not use them straight out of the packet - give them a wash first. I do not know what they put on them, but I do know, from bitter experience, that bees do not like it.

Leather gloves are like making dinner for the family after spending the day in the garden wearing gardening glove, super spreaders of everything we don’t like.

I've been converted to using these -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131649206267?var=431040493784
I've used Marigolds with nitriles over the top (hygiene and propolis) for virtually all the time i've kept bees but someone on here recommended these a month or two ago and they are really good .. I found marigolds (genuine ones) of late are not lasting as well as they used to, I have a feeling they are making them thinner than they used to - I found a new, old stock, pair in my garage and put them on to clean my car wheels with some WonderWheelss and they felt much thicker than the new ones. Whilst these Ansell ones are more expensive I've used one pair for quite a lot of beekeeping over the last 6 weeks or so and they are really as good as new, good long cuffs as welll. Still put nitriles over the top to protect them.

Same here Philip those Blue gloves are excellent and easy to get on off, my current pair are in to their 3rd year with using an over glove to keep them good. I bought a 12 pack so will last me for the rest of my beekeeping life I reckon.

I use two pairs of washing up gloves at once. One normal pair and one ‘extra tough’ pair, both from the supermarket. Not sure if they’re actually ‘marigolds’.

You lose a little dexterity with two pairs but I’ve not had a sting go through them yet despite seeing a lot of bees stinging them on a couple of occasions.

I like marigolds too for manipulation as I have more control of frame grip with these. I find other rubber gloves do not give me control as they are not fitting enough. Years ago I used to be bare handed for manipulation, smoking my hands well before commencing, however I believe some medication I take now makes them bounce a bit now and again, therefore I have packed this in.

I use Heavy Duty Marigold Gloves ...They’re black but if you turn them inside out they’re white which the bees prefer....they are impenetrable to Bee stings and allow dexterity too.

I use Heavy Duty Marigold Gloves ...They’re black but if you turn them inside out they’re white which the bees prefer....they are impenetrable to Bee stings and allow dexterity too.
I use these, they have lasted longer than anything else I have used. I just cut the end of the index finger and thumb if I need to pick up a queen. They clean up well as well with washing soda.

I used the Ansell black rubber gloves, and my bees were ferocious. I didn't realise that they don't like black gloves. I now use my leather work gloves, which are made by Cutter, with sleeves. When the gloves get mucky, I use them for work in the woods, and buy new ones. They give me great tactile sensitivity; if I had more than one apiary (I only have 5 hives) I would try the nitrile marigolds

My beekeeping marigolds are my cast off washing up gloves.
Original marigold last approx 12 months washing up, then leak and are relegated to beekeeping where they last for years.##
(not often used).

Vinyl gloves are my goto when stung too much.
Only used marigolds twice this year.

## yes I AM mean : Scottish blood and edukation sistem.

Well I don't know if it was the gloves, or they were just being kind to me today. I inspected both my hives this am wearing fairly thick nitrile gloves rather than the leather ones uses prior. No defensive bees, all very nice and polite.

I saw one queen cup with a tiny egg but no royal jelly as yet. Early days I guess and one to watch. Although to be honest, if it's just supercedure I guess I just let them get on with it.

Thanks for all the recommendations - appreciated.

Latest posts

Back