Gloves & trouser legs...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardK

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ideally 3 to 5.
How do you wear yours?
  • Gloves inside or outside of suit (with thumb straps)
  • bee suit trouser legs inside or outside of boots (I wear wellies...)
I'm not sure there is a 'right answer', but interested to know what people do. For me, it's gloves inside, trouser legs outside.

My worry with trouser legs inside is that bees may get 'trapped' between boot top and trouser material and end up winding their way downwards. Not that I've had problems, but gloves seem like they should be inside / under the suit as otherwise they compress the suit material presumable making it easier for a sting to get through.

How do you wear yours?
I'm not sure there is a 'right answer', but interested to know what people do. For me, it's gloves inside, trouser legs outside.

My worry with trouser legs inside is that bees may get 'trapped' between boot top and trouser material and end up winding their way downwards. Not that I've had problems, but gloves seem like they should be inside / under the suit as otherwise they compress the suit material presumable making it easier for a sting to get through.

I use Marigolds (or similar), which I guess go slightly under the arms of the suit, but I cover the join with gauntlets. When I used gloves with built-in gauntlets they went on top of the arms of the suit, of course.

I tuck the suit trousers into wellies. Never had an issue with a bee going down into the welly.

marigolds over the suit then gauntlets on top or if going gloveless, still wear gauntlets as the elastics on suit sleeves should never be trusted.
Suit legs tucked into boots

If I wear gloves it's nitriles under sleeves of jacket.
Jeans straight into rigger boots.

Marigolds over the suit sleeves.

Two pairs of wool socks, one of which are my 'bee socks' which I tuck my trouser legs into.

Works wonderfully for me.

I always wear trousers over boots
My apiary trousers have a lace trough the cuff for tightening.
Glover over sleeves of bee jacket

Full suit, nitriles under cuff if worn and trousers over wellies.
If just a Jacket same on the cuffs but Jean's in wellies, do find a few strings in the top of the neoprene if worn that way.

Marigolds over the suit sleeves.

Two pairs of wool socks, one of which are my 'bee socks' which I tuck my trouser legs into.

Works wonderfully for me.
Marigolds on the out side over suite and suite over boots...( steel toe capped ones) gave up whelys because of sweety feet
With mini Mating nucs I did start to go gloveles because marking queen's is a pain with them on towards the end of the season.

Jeans tucked in wellies, jacket tucked in jeans, arms rolled up to elbow which appears to make make a bee proof seal (most times),wristwatch off and gloveless.

Marigolds over suit sleeves with gauntlets. Suit tucked inside wellies with thick socks.

How do you wear yours?

Having had at least one encounter with bees that did not appreciate having their hive opened, I am happy to share the method I have used to protect myself. The most obvious parts of our bodies which need the most protection are faces and hands, also any clothed area which could be penetrated by bee stings.

I consider that it is essential to ensure that my hat and veil give complete protection to my head, and that the veil cannot inadvertently touch any of the skin of my face or neck, etc. I have made wire hoops from thin spring-steel wire which have been stitched into place inside the veils of a friend, and of myself. This has proved completely successful. I wrote to the Forum in December 2020, in the discussion thread “First Sting of the Year” in letters #39 and #65:
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/first-sting-of-the-year.49227/page-2https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/first-sting-of-the-year.49227/page-4
With regard to protection for my hands, I have opted for nitrile gloves, over the top of knitted cotton gloves. Various people have suggested that black nitrile gloves will antagonize bees, but this has not been my experience. The cotton gloves provide a dual benefit, in my opinion. They absorb perspiration from my hands and therefore make it much more comfortable than wearing nitrile gloves directly against my skin. The second benefit is that the thickness of the cotton gloves ensures that the nitrile gloves are further away from my skin, and that any bee sting which may penetrate the glove is less likely to meet my skin. My biggest concern was that my wrists were still vulnerable, because the gloves had short cuffs, and I could not guarantee that by bee jacket sleeves would always cover the ends of the gloves. I have found a “perfect” solution to this problem, though. I have sacrificed a pair of long woollen socks, by cutting off the toe-end of each sock, and doubling-over the foot-portion of each sock so that the ankle-portion of the sock is now double-layered. Protecting my hands consists of three steps: (1) place the cotton gloves onto my hands, (2) Fit the sock-gauntlets over the cotton gloves, so that they cover from my knuckles up to my elbows, (3) Place the nitrile gloves over the cotton gloves and sock-gauntlets. Finally, put on the bee-jacket which has elasticized cuffs which fit snugly over the socks.

I now use a bee-jacket rather than a full bee-suit, and have found that wearing two layers of trousers is a practical way of preventing bees from stinging my legs. This decision came after experiencing that determined bees can occasionally successfully penetrate even heavy duty cotton work trousers.

There may be various reasons why people choose a particular style of footwear. I prefer to wear boots or shoes rather than knee-high rubber boots, but I also can attest the value of wearing extra socks, to protect my ankles. I have worn a second pair of socks, which cover my legs while they are themselves covered by my trousers, but I have then worn a third pair of thick socks which have been stretched over the trouser cuffs. This outfit may not win any prizes for elegance, but it sure has helped me to feel “invincible” when bees have tried to sting me.

S’pose it might depend on how wide the wellies might be and how fat the beekeepers legs are. Trousers over the boots - I would not want bees in my boots if an accident occurred where bees were dropped.

Likewise suit over gloves. Bees will get in, if possible, if they are more than feisty. Not needed in most instances, but protection is there if/when required.

I wear the blue plastic gloves that come with their own gauntlets. Contrary to popular belief I can feel what I am doing with them. Maybe experience helps but I have never knowingly crushed any bees while using them and I have never been stung through them. I always tuck my trousers into my short wellies as bees tend to climb upwards and once inside your trusted leg they will just keep going up!!!!!!!
I gave up on jackets for that reason, they always seemed to find a way in at the waist and I would finally find them inside my veil. I admit I have being stung so I am most happy and confident when I know there is a 99.9 % chance of that not happening. 😁

Trousers tucked into wellies after second layer of socks rolled up over beesuit. Marigolds over suit sleeves, I have small hands so they’re quite snug over the suit. And a baseball cap to keep the veil away from my face.

I dont wear wellies at all, just boots. I do make sure that whatever leg wear I have on is baggy and reaches properly to the boot's heel, gaiters can also be useful at times. Gloves are either heavier nitrile or the thinner ones depending - with long cuffs or gauntlet style so wrist arm area is sealed over jacket. I mainly use a jacket and veil but always have a full suit handy as occasionally a hive can be a bit grumpy though i generally find its got a lot to do with how and when you handle/treat them - but Im not dealing with many hives at a time.

I find to occasional sting beneficial .
keeps the fingers flexible and the immunity topped up !
I once read an interesting quote .
” inoculation is the path to immunity.
inhalation is the path to allergy “
in this case inoculation being via a sting .
the inhalation bit, cited ‘ dried venom on beesuits being inhaled by whoever is responsible for the laundering, when shaking the suit etc before feeding the washing machine . Experiencing allergic reactions up to and including anaphylaxis.
the launderer never having been near the bees nor apiary .

Wellies on top (bootsocks so bees cannot climb in.)

I find to occasional sting beneficial .
keeps the fingers flexible and the immunity topped up !
I once read an interesting quote .
” inoculation is the path to immunity.
inhalation is the path to allergy “
in this case inoculation being via a sting .
the inhalation bit, cited ‘ dried venom on beesuits being inhaled by whoever is responsible for the laundering, when shaking the suit etc before feeding the washing machine . Experiencing allergic reactions up to and including anaphylaxis.
the launderer never having been near the bees nor apiary .
I expect this clip has been seen but if not it makes for an interesting take on bee stings

Latest posts

Back