Glove Colour

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
After years of using leather I've decided to upgrade to a washing up glove.

I've heard lots of stories about good and bad colours for bees.

When I'm in Tesco which colour should I buy and which should I avoid.

Other supermarkets are available!

john Lewis do a long sleave blue glove that works quite well ( not all have flowers on)

http://www.johnlewis.com/164874/Style.aspx

Last edited:
The lighter the better.
Yellow marigolds work for me

I have black washing up gloves and they don't seem to mind at all.

Tesco's value are thinner than the Branded Marigold golves, but hence the 50p for 2 pairs.

I find them very good.

john Lewis do a long sleave blue glove that works quite well ( not all have flowers on)

http://www.johnlewis.com/164874/Style.aspx

I've gone the same route- started on v. expensive leather jobs, now upgraded to marigolds. They do heavy duty ones that cost about £1 more, look the same but are slightly stronger. Thoses ones with the extra cuffs look good though- I have to be careful not to have a gap appear (no thumb loops in suit)

I have to be careful not to have a gap appear (no thumb loops in suit)

Mine often ride down, cuff up, but I have never found they sting there, and more to the point the thinness, results in very few stings.

In this old book I have been reading they reccomend washing your hands in white vinigar to repel the bees. Anyone tried it?

I thought that I had done very well, securing freebie and cheap leather gauntlets at the start of my beekeeping adventures. It was probably only a month or two later (and the sufferance of a sting here and there, finding that they weren't really that bad) that I gave up on bee crunching manipulations. I find that they're just too thick and unforgiving (gloves, not bees).

Softly, softly is the order of the day, the bees are remarkably tolerant of slow and steady actions but conversely get agitated quite quicky when I'm hasty or clumsy. I have conditioned myself now not to flinch when they alight on my wrists or other inadvertently exposed bits (ooerrr). They are generally only being inquisitive. In fact I find it 'good therapy' these days to encourage the bees onto my thinly gloved hand just to watch 'em up close! The are indeed fascinating creatures.

I use thin nitrile gloves (boxes of 100 are cheap). If the bees are really tetchy, I double up and it is only if they are determined to give me a bad time that I resort to the heavy leather (and then usually only to close them down - I generally get the message).

What talk of vinegar? I can't understand using stuff to 'repel' them! Why wind them up before you've even started?

just but a pair of gloves sheeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz tut

looooooooooool what colour loooooooooooooool

I usually have Wilkos, they seem fine, but if you annoy the girls to much, they will sting.

I wear a pair of vinyl gloves over the top these days if I'm going from hive to hive, (Change for each hive)

I use cheap aldi marrigolds in yellow around £1.30 for 3 pair, not had to many stings go through, tried blue ones a while back and the bees attacked them like mad.

Latest posts

Back