Global Warming?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Betelgeuse,betelgeuse,betel......... better not risk it.

:)

Astronomers don't pronounce it like that though. No idea why. They have all sorts of strange pronunciations for star names. I think it's just some sort of bizarre in-joke. Strange things seem to pass for humour when the only thing that differentiates one from a vampire is the complete lack of animal magnetism.

James

:)

Astronomers don't pronounce it like that though. No idea why. They have all sorts of strange pronunciations for star names. I think it's just some sort of bizarre in-joke. Strange things seem to pass for humour when the only thing that differentiates one from a vampire is the complete lack of animal magnetism.

James
James.
i just spelt it the same way as in the link put on by Drew,obviously they don't have a clue either,or not astronomers,lets have a spelling coppitittion, shall we.:biggrinjester:

The spelling is fine :) When I meant was that the film you allude to pronounces (and spells, in fact) it "beetlejuice", whereas astronomers pronounce the name of the star "betteljerz" (or something along those lines).

The star opposite Betelgeuse in Orion (bottom right rather than top left) is Rigel, which I would probably pronounce something like "regal", but apparently astronomers call it "rye-jull". I'm not even going near Albireo :)

James

James.
i just spelt it the same way as in the link put on by Drew,obviously they don't have a clue either,or not astronomers,lets have a spelling coppitittion, shall we.:biggrinjester:

I always thought it was pronounced Beetle-Juice but I never could work out Zaphod Beeblebrox or Slartibartfast

Love it how threads develope........do you rekon there is life on "rye-jull".

Somebody told me that URANUS was not originally part of our solar system... or was that PLUTO ?

Think they were SYRIUS ... possibly a SUN reader?

Anyone like to debate the pronounciation of that 3rd 'gassy' planet in the solar system(or just the plain 7th from the Sun)?

Anyone like to debate the pronounciation of that 3rd 'gassy' planet in the solar system(or just the plain 7th from the Sun)?

Just digging out my DUCKULAR videos!... I am sure Terrific Terrance had the pronunciation right......
beware the OIDS.. the OIDS of MARS !!:smilielol5::smilielol5:

I always thought it was pronounced Beetle-Juice but I never could work out Zaphod Beeblebrox or Slartibartfast

The former is pronounced Zaphod Beeblebrox, and the latter Slartibartfast.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Ski-hock
But why do "they" say Zay-fod

Well Droo- I'm not sure, I think the English just like a long vowel, hence names like Adrian and Gabriel getting long 'A's on their trip from french to English. Me, I say Zayphod 'cos I started with the radio series in 1978.

The issue with Brazil and India (and China to some extent) is that their economies are only now becoming developed due to the globalisation of products and services and the sharing of knowledge and technology which have led to the rapid growth of these economies.

There is no question that man has added to the breakdown of the o-zone layer, and has been the cause of additional gasses which prevent the escape of heat causing the Earth to 'heat up'. The question is, do you tell the developing nations that they've missed the boat and that they should not be allowed to industrialise like we once did? Hmm rather controversial I feel, necessary? possibly.

The issue with Brazil and India (and China to some extent) is that their economies are only now becoming developed due to the globalisation of products and services and the sharing of knowledge and technology which have led to the rapid growth of these economies.

There is no question that man has added to the breakdown of the o-zone layer, and has been the cause of additional gasses which prevent the escape of heat causing the Earth to 'heat up'. The question is, do you tell the developing nations that they've missed the boat and that they should not be allowed to industrialise like we once did? Hmm rather controversial I feel, necessary? possibly.

Unfortunately, you can't do that. You can advise them not to make the same mistakes we have, for example invest straight into next-generation powerplants; and there are things we can do, such as 'renting' the rain forests, paying compensation for their non-use.

Latest posts

Back