Giving up

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazybee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
With a whole heap of regret and after keeping bees for 18 yrs. I now have to throw in the towel and admit I can't, responsibly keep bees in my current job. I am away from home too much to provide the proper care and attention they deserve. It's been pot luck if I was around in the swarming season. I had total loss last year due to a massive hornet nest I was unable to find until it was too late. I've never seen so many hornets. They were 'dealt' with but it was too late. I don't intend to sell any of equipment though. When my circumstances change............................I'll be back I will visit here from time to time to keep up with the latest news so when I start again, I can hit the ground running. I hope you all have a successful 2011:seeya:

Best to be a beekeeper than a bee owner.

You take care Lazybee and make sure you pop in and see us and keep up with all the lastest news so when you are ready again to start beekeeping you will be on the ball.
Best regards
Eric

I am sorry to hear that. I would be gutted if I had to give up now and I've only been doing it since late July. Good to hear though you are keeping your kit, bet you will find your will back soon enough, it's too addictive lol. I hope you return soon :)

Lazybee - dont be gone too long!

What a shame you're not in the UK I'm sure you'd have lots of us volunteering to help you out - on second thoughts where in france are you? I fancy the odd holiday!!! lol

Seriously though keep in touch.

Have you considerd running your Langs in a Warre style.

Then you only open them when you can?

Just an idea.(That's what I would do.) :)

Sorry to hear that your having to give up Lazybee, just remember we will come back for you, it's a beekeeping thing!

Have you considerd running your Langs in a Warre style.

It works for me but you still need to work at it.

Mike

Good luck Lazybee
:cheers2:

Why give up?

"Park" the queen in a nuc and let them raise a new one a month or so before you think they will get into swarm mode.

When they have a nice new one and she is laying up well, and they look as if they are getting strong, then "Park" her again........

Not my advice but it is what Bernard Mobus suggested to me for running colonies when I was offshore. ie away from home for chunks of time.

PH

Latest posts

Back