Giving up beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
No, not me! Not until I am too physically or mentally decrepid. (Which may not be long on both counts.)

Any idea what the beginners attrition rate is?

Cazza

Of the 28 beginners who started with me during the winter classes, I've seen 3 or 4 at the club apiary for the summer "hands on" lessons. I can't quite understand how they can sit through "dull lectures" and then not go to the "interesting practical" and actually see bees and hives, although it may well be that they're waiting to get bees before coming back...?

Could do without that heading cazza.....I nearly cried....phew, I thought my soul mate was bailing out!

Of the 28 beginners who started with me during the winter classes, I've seen 3 or 4 at the club apiary for the summer "hands on" lessons. I can't quite understand how they can sit through "dull lectures" and then not go to the "interesting practical" and actually see bees and hives, although it may well be that they're waiting to get bees before coming back...?

Not quite as bad but out of the 20 2013 beginners we have about 8 that attend practicals. Could be that they are waiting to get their own bees but surely turning up to organized lessons and events introduces them to people more likely to have bees to give/sell to them?

Of my 2010 class, two are active in Assocation, three I know have some hives, one has 30+ and the remaining 7-8 out of approx 16 never been seen again so I assume may have given up/have one hive.

After last winter , many of the 2012 intake lost single hives and only the determined are likely to continue.. (also financially able or given free bees/swarms)

Surely they are not actually new starters unles they have acquired bees?

Doing a clasroom "introduction" hardly makes you a beekeeper!

To be fair I have strong views on this - I came to the hobby after 20 years of Coaching in Sport, and have been surprised at the lack of structure and support for newcomers. I have met some wonderfull folk who go to extreme lengths to encourage and support new starters - Indeed I have enjoyed some of that support.

But I can't understand why the BBKA and it's Associations place such an emphasis on classroom based teaching for what is sureluy such a practical hobby.

Surely they are not actually new starters unles they have acquired bees?

Doing a clasroom "introduction" hardly makes you a beekeeper!

To be fair I have strong views on this - I came to the hobby after 20 years of Coaching in Sport, and have been surprised at the lack of structure and support for newcomers. I have met some wonderfull folk who go to extreme lengths to encourage and support new starters - Indeed I have enjoyed some of that support.

But I can't understand why the BBKA and it's Associations place such an emphasis on classroom based teaching for what is sureluy such a practical hobby.

Not our local Association - the reverse is largely true.

Some it seems like the academic side of beekeeping ... rapidly ascending through the ranks by accomplishing top marks in all the modules I wonder after having the pleasure to converse with a few the walking textbooks if they have ever actually had any real practical experience in keeping bees?

Needless to say I have so much to learn!

Much the same goes it seems with many other Hobbies .. In Scuba diving "they" are referred to as " badge collectors"......( I rapidly back away as soon as one of 'em starts waffling on about their qualifications)!!

Some it seems like the academic side of beekeeping ... rapidly ascending through the ranks by accomplishing top marks in all the modules I wonder after having the pleasure to converse with a few the walking textbooks if they have ever actually had any real practical experience in keeping bees?

Needless to say I have so much to learn!

Much the same goes it seems with many other Hobbies .. In Scuba diving "they" are referred to as " badge collectors"......( I rapidly back away as soon as one of 'em starts waffling on about their qualifications)!!
It can be a variable experience in other pursuits as well. In the RYA the difference in the level of proficiency required between the western isles and the Solent was remarkable.

I started out last year with another 11 keepers....5 have backed out after the first year.

reasons varied from having to relocate because of job change; too expensive to buy all the equipment that mounts up into the second year and beyond; too much time needed to tend hives when coping with large family & other responsibilities; realised that conventional hives and beekeeping wasn't preferred and starting over alone on the natural side of things and attempting build of own topbar hive and finally, one person simply realised they didn't enjoy the responsibility and didn't want to do it anymore

It can be a variable experience in other pursuits as well. In the RYA the difference in the level of proficiency required between the western isles and the Solent was remarkable.

RYA Qualifications (my experience in Solent) are getting ridiculously hard ... I think they look on failing candidates as an additional opportunity for income. Costs are also now very high. No incentive to go beyond Yachtmaster, or, perhaps, even coastal skipper - it's just too demanding.

This year we had a few people on the weekend courses who really wanted to save bees rather than keep bees, and they just wanted to know more, so they did not take up the offer of a season's practical learning.

Quite a few of the people who followed a mentor around for a year last year did not get their own bees in the end.

It seems like the rate of increase in people taking up beekeeping is slowing.

RYA Qualifications (my experience in Solent) are getting ridiculously hard ... I think they look on failing candidates as an additional opportunity for income. Costs are also now very high. No incentive to go beyond Yachtmaster, or, perhaps, even coastal skipper - it's just too demanding.
I found the Solent examiners a walk in the park compared to Crinan/Oban examiners... Ardfern through Sound of Luing and back again at night was the standard then. Doing MoB at dusk under gray overcast i.e. almost dark. Having to improvise navigation off street lights being obscured by islands at a range of 4 miles...

Beginners conversion rate

I'm a beginner this year and there were around 25 people at our beginner training classes. I was one of 2 people that already had a hive and planned to get bees this year. I have mine now, but I'm pushed for time with my family so I've not made it back to the association apiary visits. I know that I should so I can get more tips/advice from the experienced people in the association, but so much easier getting to the bottom of my garden than in the car to the alliance apiary. I am in contact with my association and I understand the numbers of new beekeepers at the apiary have been low. However it had been closed straight after the classes finished, which was a shame and may have got people out of the habit of a Sunday afternoon talking about bees. Our latest newsletter has an announcement about the apiary being open again, so hopefully there were more attending today, although I didn't myself as I was out to lunch. I'd guess that busy lives, is a big reason that people don't attend. Also communication is important to make sure new beekeepers know what is going on with the association. I've just set up a facebook page for our association which may get some of the more tech savvy people know that the apiary meetings are going ahead. Have to say that once you have bees and watch them flying back with pollen on their legs, it is so interesting. I've had a lot of local friends interested since getting them to look at the bees in my perspex coverboard.

I know someone who lost her only hive through the winter and I offered to replace as I had a spare overwintered nuc she could have gratis.

The nuc is now in a full bb and will soon need a super, I have not given it to her as she has not contacted me or asked when it will be ready, I have contacted her and said it was in good shape, if this was me I would be on the phone every week asking when can I get my hands on it.

Me thinks she has lost the bug.

I found the Solent examiners a walk in the park compared to Crinan/Oban examiners... Ardfern through Sound of Luing and back again at night was the standard then. Doing MoB at dusk under gray overcast i.e. almost dark. Having to improvise navigation off street lights being obscured by islands at a range of 4 miles...

Glad I did mine down here then !! Mind you, I learnt to sail in the solent at night - lots of fun trying to sort out lights on buoys against a background of wall to wall shoreside lights, parked cars flashing their headlights and lunatics with high powered torches showing off !

Last edited:
Could do without that heading cazza.....I nearly cried....phew, I thought my soul mate was bailing out!

Sorry Enrico! Glad to know I'd be missed.
I would really struggle to give up but beekeeping would go before I gave up gardening.
Cazza

"I came to the hobby after 20 years of Coaching in Sport, and have been surprised at the lack of structure and support for newcomers."

It's meant to be a hobby.

This year we had a few people on the weekend courses who really wanted to save bees rather than keep bees, and they just wanted to know more, so they did not take up the offer of a season's practical learning.

Is there a need for a different course? A how to make a bumblebee house and bee-friendly garden?

We've got someone coming to make insect houses at our allotment open day which will be fun. :)

Latest posts

Back