Giving frames back to the bees.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I understand that its not really a good idea to give extracted frames back to the apiary for all bees to clean up because of cross contamination of disease.

But I have also been told that hives should never been seen as single units rather the apiary should be seen as a single unit and worked as one?

I understand that its not really a good idea to give extracted frames back to the apiary for all bees to clean up because of cross contamination of disease.

?

It depends, if you have diseases in apiary. If you have not noticed AFB in your apiary, you propably don't have it. Many diseases move to another hive with drifting and via robbing.

I noticed that sun melter is a bad AFB deliverer. I believed that spores will be destoyed in heat, but they stand 130C.

Hivemaker how do you keep the wax moth at bay?

I think I will do the same rather than have the bees storing more honey in the combs.

This year I just did crush and strain as I only took 30lb.

You can place them in an old chest freezer if you have one and use as fume chamber,but if not, then i stack 6/7 high and wrap with poly,then add empty brood body on top,inside this i use a small mesh trivet with a bit of newspaper on top,onto this put one teaspoon of sulphur and light the corner of paper until sulphur starts to burn,seal up top with ply board,job done.only needs doing once,and kills everything from eggs to larvae to efb.

I got some off Ebay.

Only cost about 3-4 pound with postage.

I use sulphur strips, got them from thornes, not expensive, i burn two strips once a month in the top of my pile of supers/brood boxes, stacked 5 and 7 high.
theres enough in the pack to last a few seasons.

Back