Girls Out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
couldnt help myself, had to sit with them for a bit, was almost tempted to remove the mouseguard, they were a bit congested for a while
Oodles of pollen coming in, guess i wont need the pollen pattie if this keeps up.

I expect we will all have been to the bees today.

Last edited:
I only managed a couple of pics yesterday,here's one below:

Nice pic Admin.

Is that pollen on the mouse gaurd I can see? Maybe it is nearly time for mouse gaurds off?

I think at least I need to remove my reduced entrance blocks.

Yes it is Jim,that was my thoughts as well.

Dan Saf I think the worst of our frosts should be over.

Also I want to move the hives forward a couple of feet because the bushes behind grow fast and last year I had to get the strimmer to them,they also contain blackberry and the thornes catch my veil thats nylon.

I was going to ask when most remove theirs, will take mine off sometime over the next two weeks.

Well my garden was like heathrow airport today the girls were very busy bringing in orange and a pale white pollen.

We are still getting some very cold nights,so best to leave the guards for a bit longer. loads of pollen comming in today

I have a feeling that the timing of taking the mouse guards off is not as critical as putting them on.

- fewer mice around now, so doesn't matter too much if they're off early
- bees have got used to negotiating the guards, so late is OK too

I have one colony with 7 seams of bees and a lot of activity, so its guard came off on Sunday. The others are at 4-5 seams and I'll leave these ones with their guards for a couple of weeks yet.

G.

7 seems,thats a big hive Gavin,is that young bees as well or a large cluster from last year?

I haven't pulled any frames but I think that it has been raising brood for a while because I had a glass crown board on until a couple of weeks ago which was running with condensation. Its neighbour died out (failed queen I believe) and I know that it has been helping itself to their stores - maybe their bees too!

G.

Back