Ghosts from the past....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Widdershins

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Ok. Where shall I start?

We were kindly given a honey spinner a couple of weeks ago - its an ancient thing, but lovingly cared for, and now has an equally loving new home.

Upon opening the thing - in original box, I hasten to add - there was to be found a brown, fox eared envelope, containing treasures from the past - several Bee Craft from years 1971 - 1972, and a Kent Bee-Keepers' Association Yearbook from 1973.

Contained therein, news, editorials, diary and recipes. Also courses, and costs - a mere £2.50 for a days course, High Tea included!!

Over the coming days, I shall post some of the recipes. Heres one for starters, lets say, a taster!!
IDEAS FOR TEA-TIME SANDWICH FILLERS
Honey Butter
Half cup butter
1 cup Honey

Cream the butter and add the Honey gradually. Spread on bread.

Carrot Filling
Honey
Grated carrot
Sprinkling of Nutmeg

Combine all, spread on bread.

Cream Cheese Filling
Soften cream cheese with enough Honey to spread well. Add chopped raisins or nuts.

Fruit Filling
Quarter cup each of dates, prunes, fig, orange peel.
1 Tablespoon Candied Ginger
quarter cup of Honey
Chop the fruit and blend with the honey

SPICED CHICORY SALAD
Ingredients:
2 Firm heads of chicory 1 cup yoghourt
1 teaspoon of honey 1 tomato, pulped
lemon juice, salt. black pepper

Cut the chicory into thin slices. Whip up the yoghourt with honey, tomato pulp, lemon juice and salt & pepper to season.
Pour the mixture over the chicory.
Note: This is equally as good with celery instead of chicory

Hope youve enjoyed these, there are plenty more recipes to come!

Widders :cheers2:

Last edited:
Athol Brose

...another recipe from the Kent Bee-keepers Yearbook 1973...
Mix 3 oz medium oatmeal to a thick paste with cold water and let it stand for 30 mins. Strain thoroughly and use the liquour for making this brose.
Mix the liquor thoroughly with 4 dessertspoons of heather honey, using a silver spoon.
Pour into an empty half whisky bottle, fill up with whisky and cork tightly. Shalke well before using.

NOTE: This is one of the many recipes for this traditional Scottish drink. Making a liquour rather like Drambuie. I usually filter the soaked oatmeal. The honey should be blended so that neither the flavour of honey or whisky predominates. As the mixture forms a "must" in spite of using a silver spoon, it is more attractive if carefull decanted to a fresh bottle before using

Upon opening the thing - in original box, I hasten to add - there was to be found a brown, fox eared envelope, containing treasures from the past - several Bee Craft from years 1971 - 1972, and a Kent Bee-Keepers' Association Yearbook from 1973.

Widders :cheers2:

I love anything like that, it's fascinating to just read through them.....any pictures?

Lovely recipes too

Frisbee

I love anything like that, it's fascinating to just read through them.....any pictures?

Lovely recipes too

Frisbee

Just brought a Bee keeping Journal thats dated 1889 .. Very interesting read They were importing Carnoians and Italians back then.. Lots of different hives being tried out then such as Skeps with supers on the top.. Honey prices in October 1889 were 3d per 1lb even then there were arguments about the price it was being sold for. 120 years on and the same debates and arguements /similarities go on.

No pics - not even line drawings!!

...anyone tried the recipes yet? ;)

The spiced chicory salad sounds familiar to what I can remember being made when I was younger and living in Kent, so if its the same I can vouch for it. Please to see the recipe as never got hold of it. I look forward to making it now.:grouphug:

bee-smillie

Latest posts

Back