Getting started

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveq

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi I would like some advice about getting started.
Have just finished my practical course with local association.
The course members were advised by our tutors not to start with a swarm but to purchase a nuc.
Have just spoken to a good beekeeping friend who has advised me to start with a swarm. Some of the reasons being.

Why purchase a nuc this late in year.

A swarm may be free so nothing to lose financialy if I was to loose them over winter.

As they would be my first colony and they were diseased would not spread to other colonys in my apiary.

What are the pros and cons of nucs v swarms as a first colony.

Thanks.

If you purchase a nuc from a reputable supplier, the bees supplied should be of a reasonable nature of known stock and disease free.

Disease- It's not just the bees in your hive that you have to consider, think about the risk of bringing in a diseased swarm and the effect it could have on any beekeepers in your area.

Nature- you could end up with a hive full of totally mad Carniolan crossbreeds that will attack anything near the hive.

If you are about saving money then forget bee-keeping and buy cheap honey from Aldi, it will save you a lot of agro.

Think about the amount of support you may need through the first year. Will you get this support from your local association if you can secure a free swarm or will you need the support of the person you purchase a nuc from?

Why purchase a nuc this late in year.

This is by no means 'late in the year'.

A swarm may be free so nothing to lose financialy if I was to loose them over winter
There is always a cost, It can be an expensive experience, if things were to go wrong.

As they would be my first colony and they were diseased would not spread to other colonys in my apiary.

Don't even think about it. Brood disease can be with the hives/site for years, even several decades.

Although disease is unlikely, a new beek should be very careful of a swarm. Remember - no experience!

Swarms are certainly cheaper, but not so predictable with an arrival date - if they arrive at all.

I would suggest your good beekeeping friend should be able to set you up with a relatively cheap split. By far the better way to go. Only need three frames and a queen cell, if really stingy. You know the provenance.

Thanks for your answers.
I think that a swarm would best be supplied from experienced beekeeper that could check them for temprement and health.

I would also purchase a nuc if you think i still have plenty of time to build them up for the winter.

Aldi honey no thanks i am quite prepared to pay for my bees.
As my friend has been keeping bees 30 plus years.
To him collecting swarms is the norm.

Dave.

Biggest downside to a swarm is you know nothing about them. I've had some terrific bees from swarms and I've had some absolute monsters. Until they get established you've no idea what they're going to be like. You've also go no guarantees that if you get a swarm at all that it's going to be a nice big prime swarm either, there's a lot of cast swarms at the moment and I've had more than a few of those that would barely fill a Nuc.

So you might get lucky and if you do you've saved a few quid. You might get nothing at all, you might get a small swarm that struggles to build up for winter or you get aggressive bees that make your introduction to beekeeping miserable.

There's plenty of time for a decent Nuc to build up, or ask your friend if he'd consider making a split up for you from one of his colonies. Other than being "known" bees you've got the advantage that a Nuc is going to be far easier to handle to begin with and you can build your confidence as the colony expands.

I've just started - got mine a month or so go.

I was offered a nuc or a full colony from a highly reputable source - and cost was not an issue for me. He recommended a nuc 'so that you will grow together'.

Now, I'm the sort of cool calm and collected guy, who's used to taking rissk - and arrogant and gung-ho enough to go for the 'big bang'.
Glad I didn't.

It's one thing doing an inspection at the BKA training apiary, with an experienced 'keeper next to you.

It's entirely another thing to open up your own colony for the first (or even second or third) time, on your own, in your own apiary. There's a hell of a lot of bees; it's a bit scary; you don't exactly know as much as you thought you did. There's no one to rely on; you've got to handle the rapidly-becoming-stroppy bees; you've got to make the decisions; when the smoker goes out, and a bee gets inside your veil, it's you that has to calmly sort it out and properly shut up shop.

No, I'm glad I started with a nuc.

Moreover, this is a new colony; my colony! We're growing up together; starting to understand each other.

Get a nuc.

Dusty.

Last edited:
We just started this year with "over wintered nucs" so having to learn a lot very fast.

However shortly after we got the bees we had the Bee Inspector down and the first words he said were " A little knowledge, good equipment and good bees and your 90% there".

You can lose a swarm as easily as a colony over the winter, don't know about swarms but they can also abscond - less likely with a nuc. As previously said a nuc from a reputable supplier with good bees (well better chance) of known temprament (hopefully) is a much better way to start off for my money. I also didn't think it was late for a nuc, particularly given what the weather has been like and has held back a lot of queen rearing / mating.

you can get a nuc straight away,a swarm is unpredictable and you may not get one this season

my first year did course with mdbka, course said buy and some others said swarm. had baby and wedding this year so buying was banned by accountant. i got some second hand kit and fresh frames set bait with no luck.
didnt want to go on swarm list as had no idea what was doing.
so managed too shadow a local beekeeper on collection and as we collected another swarmed 10ft from origonal 2 4 1 awsome!
on swarm list 5 call 3 bumbles 2 honey 1 flew 1 in my nuc waiting inspection tmoz!
i say swarm they had been there 5 days and had made some comb!

my opion swarms are alot more exciting

also question they were calm and didnt fly at me when colectiong and no stings is this good sign ?

Swarms are generally pretty placid while they're a swarm, they're full of honey and they've got nothing to defend. Once they're established in a hive is when their true temperament becomes evident.

Swarms are generally pretty placid while they're a swarm, they're full of honey and they've got nothing to defend. Once they're established in a hive is when their true temperament becomes evident.

:iagree: well said, nellie

If you have a beekeeping mate, all you need is two frames of bees with a frame of stores and a bought queen introduced in a four or five frame nuc box. As long as the beekeeping friend is further than 3 miles should keep all the bees. The bought queen will get going immediately and the colony will build quickly in the nuc box.

Should be fine for winter especially if the queen is from a prolific line. Plus of course you will know the queen should be good and have the required temper.

Baggy

Back