Getting started

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnBrian

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
I see that the general opinion is to start off by doing a beekeeping course but working offshore I can't always fit things like that in easily.
How many of you have been successful in learning just from a book.
Also my other half want's me to get WBC's (cos they look prettier). I won't be moving them so apart from the expense what are the disadvantages.

Brian

I hope you get more sensible answers to this query Brian.

I dunno about just learning from a book, I'm in my third year now and I think beekeeping is like trying to captue a moonbeam............Every time I think I'm doing okay, something else happens and it's more to learn. Do you have a bee buddy who can help you?

WBC's? I have no experience with them at all, but messing about in a National is tricky enough without having lifts and seperate boxes.

I think you need to find a beekeeper and go and help out on odd days for a while, then you will begin to get a feel for it.

Frisbee

Yes you can learn a lot of the theory from books,but you cannot beat going with an experianced beekeeper for the practical side,and getting used to bee's and actually doing the manipulations,does not mean you have to do some set course.
WBC hive,pretty to look at,but thats about as far as it goes,certain manipulations are difficult,you can use a bigger brood box in them,good for winter,need to be secure in windy weather,double the work of single walled hives,but that does not really matter if its only your hobby.why not suggest a single walled hive with a gabled roof to your wife,they look okay.

Last edited:
Solve all your problems in one swell foop! - build yourself one or two of these -

warre2.jpg

(Warré Hives)

then Google "Nestduftwärmebindung", and all will become clear........

Why would he want one of those things :toetap05:

Because it looks attractive,his wife would like it,and Brian may be interested in this type of beekeeping,its another option,and he could make one of these easily himself,so less cost.

Ill agree on the looks ok part. Are the frames the same size as nationals? Im just curious

My reasoning is simple - a Warré looks a touch "wbc-ish" -- hence immediate domestic harmony (which is a GOOD thing), they are also very "low maintenance", some people open them twice a year, so if new beekeeper spends a lot of time away at work more time with 'er indoors when home, hence MORE domestic harmony (an even better thing)........
No need to spend a fortune on extraneous impedimenta much beloved of "conventional" beekeeping, more money in kitty to buy pressies for the lady of the house (even MORE domestic harmony.....)
Why would anybody not?:cheers2:

Last edited:
no frames, just top bars..........:)

Why keep bees if they only open them twice a year? What magic do these hives have to stop swarming?

I'm not saying that you HAVE to only open them twice a year, just that some people do, there's nothing to stop you doing most of what you would do "normally" for swarm prevention.........

Latest posts

Back