Getting Going

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apis doff

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello all.

So, 2021 will mark the first year of my life as a keeper of things stingy and wingy. I'm very excited about this. I'm also quite ignorant.

Steps I've taken so far: I've discovered this forum, read a book, looked through a number of suppliers, and made bold assertions about entering beekeeping. My next step, ideally, would be to book a beginners course, but our friend covid has whacked that one right on the nose. Never mind, the internet is full of information and people, like your good self, who can answer my questions. I'm confident that with the resources available, I can do this.

So, question time!

1) I have read that early spring is the best time to start beekeeping. Is this true?
2) Apart from learning, what should I have done before moving actual bees into the picture?
3) I read that it's best to start with two hives. Any other opinions?
4) What have I probably not considered?

Thanks for reading, everyone. Looking forward to hearing your answers.

-Doff

Go for it. It was my first year last year. Started with one hive in spring and then ramped up to three hives this year. Buying kit in the sales is a good plan. Maisemore seconds have done me well. How are you planning on getting the bees in the first place? Probably the most important thing to consider as the rest of the basic kit is quite easy to get hold of.

Spring is good, however if you are expecting to buy in a nucleus then you should really order it very soon. But before you do that think carefully about the type of hive and whether it will be poly or wood. But before you do order a hive consider where you put it; the garden is not usually the best place, so you need to find a suitable site.
Don't rely upon you tube videos, some are good but many are not. A safe source of video would be the Norfolk Honey Company - Stuart Spinks and also stuff by Richard Noel who also posts on this forum. Read some books maybe start with the Haynes Beekeeping manual.

If poly then research the various types/vendors as they aren't all compatible with each other and decide on the hive format to be used. That said there are two that are wholly compatible with wooden BS National size if you decide to mix wood and poly.

Hello all.

So, 2021 will mark the first year of my life as a keeper of things stingy and wingy. I'm very excited about this. I'm also quite ignorant.

Steps I've taken so far: I've discovered this forum, read a book, looked through a number of suppliers, and made bold assertions about entering beekeeping. My next step, ideally, would be to book a beginners course, but our friend covid has whacked that one right on the nose. Never mind, the internet is full of information and people, like your good self, who can answer my questions. I'm confident that with the resources available, I can do this.

So, question time!

1) I have read that early spring is the best time to start beekeeping. Is this true?
2) Apart from learning, what should I have done before moving actual bees into the picture?
3) I read that it's best to start with two hives. Any other opinions?
4) What have I probably not considered?

Thanks for reading, everyone. Looking forward to hearing your answers.

-Doff
Forget ordering bees, don't buy any kit ... Have a look for your local beekeeping association and join ..., one way or another they will almost certainly be holding some sort of beginners course - they usually start in January and finish around May - by which time Covid should be somewhere near being under control. Enrol on the course ... that will give you some basic knowledge to make some initial decisions.

Very often they will find you some bees after the course completes and before that you will be able to get hands on with some bees and see if you really do have what it takes to become a beekeeper. You would not be the first person to be put off when you see real bees in great quantity and the realisation of what you will be dealing with sinks home.

Use the winter to read up .. Bees at the Bottom of the Garden by Alan Campion, whilst not perfect, is a good starting point. The Haynes Manual of Beekeeping wiill guide you in lots of ways before you get bees and in your first year - again - not perfect but a really simple guide through the beekeeping year.

I'm not trying to put you off but if you find, after the course and an apiary visit or two that it is what you anticipated there is plenty of time to get your own bees and handle them through the season and into your first winter. Year 2 is where it all starts to happen.

But... starting in Beekeeping is an expensive business .,., several hundred pounds is a minimum and you won't see any real return on your investment for some years. We see so many enthusiastic new beekeepers who fall by the wayside when the reality of the huge commitment needed sinks home and whilst you can always sell unwanted kit and bees it really is better to be a little more certain before you spend any money rather than dive in headlong and regret it. Most of the regular posters on here are enhusiastic (indeed addicted !) beekeepers and we sometimes paint a more rosy picture than our hobby deserves ... we all love to see new entrants to the craft and we do what we can to guide and assist new beekeepers but ... beekeeping should come with a warning - it's hard work, frustrating at times, confusing and rewarding - often all at the same time. If you like it - you will wonder why you did not start sooner ...

It's great to hear your enthusiasm ... and hopefully that will see you on your way to becoming a beekeeper .. just tread a little cautiously.

Last edited:
Just to add to the above post.
I started with a mentor, I spent time with her for a season before I took on my grandads bee's, so I got a little bit of hands on experience.
I Then plunged into the deap end and took on my grandads bee's one colony that autumn. ( moved 85 miles to the Clee)
I joined an association and have spent minimal time there because of work commitments, even got on the committee but because of work couldn't commit.. I would like to get back on the committee one day hopefully.
Midway through season 2 I meet a new mentor who has taught me so much, he has been a pillar for me and has let me be the beekeeper I am today, he hasn't rammed his own beekeeping methods down my throat but let me learn and experiment for myself, he has guided me through these last 4 seasons..( Experiments have been with my own bees mind) obviously not that stupid.

Do get a mentor maybe a friend who you know keeps bees locally, some one who you get on with and talk to out side of beekeeping.

Having thousands of bee's flying around you can be really intense and quite scary let alone picking frames up with bees on.
If your passionate about it you will persist and never want to give it up.. It is a very contagious hobby and can become very addictive some call it ' bee fever ' .

Do read as much as you can, this forum is brilliant to for advice, the odd laugh and most if not all are very supportive of whichever way of beekeeping you go.

Follow some good beekeepers
Maybe localish to you.
All I can say is good luck! and most of all enjoy beekeeping.

Regards

Mark.

Not the best time to start I would say.
If you are looking to buy a nuc early spring, it will be an overwintered nuc and, as everyone will be looking at replacing winter casualties, will attract a premium price, also, overwintered nucs tend to build up like a shot and the rapid growth may overwhelm a total beginner.
My advice, would be the same as that given by Pargyle, but if you are set to go it alone, spend the early spring doing some learning, maybe chatting to local beekeepers and also looking at the early sales to get hold of some bargain kit.
Forget about expecting honey in the first season, put out the workd and wait until Juneish when people are busily splitting colonies during the swarming season, pick up a fresh developing nuc at a better price then you and the colony can grow and develop together.
You may still get a little honey at the end of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
:welcome:

Beekeeping is fun.
BUT it demands time each week in Spring and early summer.
Each week, every week.

If you don't envisage having the time, don't do it.

It's not only the money.. you must be committed to make a success and that requires at least an hour a week as above.

I agree with all of the above. It is a fascinating, fun, addictive and expensive hobby. It takes commitment to be a bee keeper rather than a bee haver. I think the most important thing is to get some hands on experience before you pay out. I have had many a bargain from people who found it was not actually for them. Find out which hive is used most commonly locally. It will help you obtain cheap, perhaps free, bees. Also easy to borrow equipment when you get stuck.
It is fun. I love it. Enjoy

Just to add to the above post.
I started with a mentor, I spent time with her for a season before I took on my grandads bee's, so I got a little bit of hands on experience.
I Then plunged into the deap end and took on my grandads bee's one colony that autumn. ( moved 85 miles to the Clee)
I joined an association and have spent minimal time there because of work commitments, even got on the committee but because of work couldn't commit.. I would like to get back on the committee one day hopefully.
Midway through season 2 I meet a new mentor who has taught me so much, he has been a pillar for me and has let me be the beekeeper I am today, he hasn't rammed his own beekeeping methods down my throat but let me learn and experiment for myself, he has guided me through these last 4 seasons..( Experiments have been with my own bees mind) obviously not that stupid.

Do get a mentor maybe a friend who you know keeps bees locally, some one who you get on with and talk to out side of beekeeping.

Having thousands of bee's flying around you can be really intense and quite scary let alone picking frames up with bees on.
If your passionate about it you will persist and never want to give it up.. It is a very contagious hobby and can become very addictive some call it ' bee fever ' .

Do read as much as you can, this forum is brilliant to for advice, the odd laugh and most if not all are very supportive of whichever way of beekeeping you go.

Follow some good beekeepers
Maybe localish to you.
All I can say is good luck! and most of all enjoy beekeeping.

Regards

Mark.
Get a mentor
I had a fantastic one when I was 12***
60 years later and he is still looking over my shoulders
I sometimes have to climb up on those shoulders to see above all the crap and nonsence and misinformation spread by so called Master Beekeepers and some of their ilk!
As with young Mark... find out for yourself... and keep LOCAL BEES !!!!

Nadelik Lowen

*** My Grandfather

Get a mentor
I had a fantastic one when I was 12***
60 years later and he is still looking over my shoulders
I sometimes have to climb up on those shoulders to see above all the crap and nonsence and misinformation spread by so called Master Beekeepers and some of their ilk!
As with young Mark... find out for yourself... and keep LOCAL BEES !!!!

Nadelik Lowen

*** My Grandfather
The only real thing I can remember grandad doing was hitting me with the crook.. Or chasing me after getting my head in the settling tank.
I wasn't interested in beekeeping at that age.. I was more interested in welding engines together and then blowing the then monster tractors up.. Or getting them stuck in the field while pulling the potato harvester.

I agree with all of the above. It is a fascinating, fun, addictive and expensive hobby. It takes commitment to be a bee keeper rather than a bee haver. I think the most important thing is to get some hands on experience before you pay out. I have had many a bargain from people who found it was not actually for them. Find out which hive is used most commonly locally. It will help you obtain cheap, perhaps free, bees. Also easy to borrow equipment when you get stuck.
It is fun. I love it. Enjoy
Some noobs don't even realise how much! I've put a list together for some mentorees of equipment they need for the new season.. They were quite shocked.

Even my self in my first few seasons was surprised.

If your able make some of your own equipment even if it's just floors, ekes, roofs, Hive cloths... It all helps.

Question:
2) Ensure you buy a good quality bee suit and fully fasten it before adding bees.
3) Two colonies are better than one.
4) Loads of things.

Reasons:
2) I didn’t fully fasten after collecting bees from an association keeper, in my haste, to put them in place in the growing darkness and had bees stinging my stomach inside my shirt. Not the best of starts.
3) A second colony gives you the ability to rescue mistakes or issues in one colony. It won’t save you from making the same mistakes in both though.
4) As all our SWMBO’s are apt to say “ there just ARE”

Very good luck to you however you decide to proceed. Personally, I really regret embarking without a mentor - it just caused me so much worry that could have been avoided with advice from an experienced keeper. I look forward to reading of your progress.

Storage fall all the kit you will need for this fascinating pastime.
One shed, two sheds may not be enough even if they are large.

Storage fall all the kit you will need for this fascinating pastime.
One shed, two sheds may not be enough even if they are large.
Two sheds is definitely not enough! (I have kit in spare bedrooms!)
And then clearing space in the kitchen for extracting, bottling, etc. Assuming not room/expense for a separate honey house!

Two sheds is definitely not enough! (I have kit in spare bedrooms!)
And then clearing space in the kitchen for extracting, bottling, etc. Assuming not room/expense for a separate honey house!

Two sheds one MPV at home, And in the new year I'm utilising the work shop on the farm...
Edit... We have 35 colonys.

Last edited:
Before you get too panicked at some of the replies, remember that some of the responders have 30+ hives. As a 1/2 hive keeper the volume of equipment is far less. E.g. don't need the oxalic acid vapour kit, extractors, lots of settling tanks and so on. When you do need some stuff the local association often has it to rent.

Having just completed my first season I'd say get in contact with your local association now, as a lot of them have winter lectures starting after Christmas and then often training kicking off in the spring. Due to One Thing or Another I got my lectures but not the hands on training so I had to to a certain extent teach myself with the help of this forum and YouTube after a swarm moved in. End of the season one of the old beeks from the association came over to have a look and said they seemed pretty healthy and calm, but I'm still very much looking forward to the lessons next spring, at then end of which I get the colony I'll be looking after.

Latest posts

Back