Getting attacked

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nopants

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I went in to my hive last night to put back some wet supers and take of some frames. It was geeting dark so I think I made a big mistake. I no sooner took of the roof and cover board I was stung on the arm. I was then stung in total 13 times through my veil and top and jeans. They were really going for it. I made a retreat after 1st sting but the attack was very consistent. I am now wondering what to do about the rest of the honey as I have 4 super on and they are ready for extraction. I have been brushing off the bees but Should I be using clearer boards? The bees are a carnoilan strain and have never been a problem before. Your comments please. Today I feel like I have been beaten up:boxing_smiley: and have Flu like symptoms. Is this normal?

I've just been into mine today and beaten a fairly hasty retreat...........:ack2: maybe it's the weather as it's now getting quite black overhead, but was sunny and blustery at the time. Maybe it was because you went as it was getting dark, maybe it's the weather, who knows. Tomorrow could well be completely different.

Did you use any smoke? or did you just risk it? If you are just taking one or two frames it's as easy to brush the bees off. Set an empty super on one side away from the hives and cover with an old sheet, brush the bees off over the hive and then walk to the empty one and put them in there, covering each time. I wouldn't want to do it if I was taking off loads but it works well with just one or a part one.

Take some anti-histamine to stop the stings reacting as badly (tip......buy from Tesco "Non drowsy hayfever and allergy relief" - they are 79p a pack whilst identical ones Boots own are £7.79) take 1 tablet a day for maybe 3 days............

Frisbee

Lots of bee strains react badly to being disturbed in the gloaming as it where :(, compound that disturbance by brushing bees off frames and you have the worst possible scenario:).

I personally use clearing boards normally but if I need to, I will brush bees off frames late afternoon/early evening.

John Wilkinson

I gave up brushing bees my first season as the very act of seemed to utterly enrage the bees and seemed to cause more damage and grief than it was worth.

Making clearer boards is very easy. When I get round to it I will post some pics up of mine.

PH

Bees dont like night visits. And they are all a bit defensive at the mo as you check their food which they have earmarked for their future use.
I never just wear jeans- they sting through, but wear track suit trousers over top of them - foolproof and sting proof.
Wear a jacket under your bee suit too- just to help your confidence back:)
A clearer is a much easier way to go -I use Rhombus, it clears in a few hours. So sorry about your stings- hope all easing now
and PH has a great method/ adaptation for clearing- when he has finished working :svengo:

Last edited:
Thanks Guys and Gals,

Yes its probably the weather and the change in nector flow plus fact of going in nearer dusk.. I will certainly use the Bee escapes from now on though. I dont want another attack like this.

nopants if you can tell us where you are it would help, two main points are on bears open hives at night and in the midlands we were having stormy weather also another down side on the bees, may i suugest that next time just to make realy sure of upsetting them before working with them try kicking the hive a few times that always upsets my lot,

there are many reason why your bees where grumpy last night two i have listed but try these as well.
poor croping , has there flow stopped.
no cropping, rained of for several days.
has someone/thing/animal been to that hive before you.
were you a little rough removing the supers earlier, and they were still upset.
are you hives being stoned by the local scrotts,

there are more but that covers the most also how long have you been keeping bees nopants that would also help so we can miss the obvious and try some other reasons

Hi all, Some interesting points made HP as to why the attach may have happened. But just to give the other side of the coin, last Tuesday, I had to do my weekly check (as we were going to be away) and everything seemed to be wrong. The weather was oppressive and seemed to be heading for a storm, the bees seemed to be less settled than they had been etc. However fully guarded we went in and checked. Apart from a few bees who wanted to investigate us they were as docile as you could have wished for. Withing an hour of checking there was a thunderstorm and some torrential rain. As new beekeepers were we just lucky? :confused:

I have to say, yes very.

Next time you may get hammered.

Now to define some terms here that I use.

Hammered, over 100 stings.

Tinky, 50 odd.

Upset, 20 odd.

In a good humour five or less.

Miraculous, none.

;)

The problem is that often there is no other option but to do operation X, especially if you are Queen Rearing and working to a fixed time table. If the weather is against you then its gear up time and grin and take it.

PH

I have to say, yes very.

Tinky, 50 odd.

Upset, 20 odd.

Miraculous, none.

;)

PH

I totally agree. I reckon we must have used a years supply of luck up in that inspection. I expect to be at have 10 or more the next time I do anything. Maybe I'll dress as the michelin man.:)

I think the strain of bee also has something to do with this doesn't it?

I've been blessed in having bees that originated a few generations ago from Norton's stock and I can't praise their temperament highly enough.

I've inspected in humid, thundery weather and they've never been anything other than a pleasure to work with, for whatever reason.

Maybe it's luck....maybe not.

Oooooooooooooooh i have officially reached "Tinky" stage. that was bad enough, i hope i manage to cull before i ever reach the Hammered point.

I have to say, yes very.

Tinky, 50 odd.

Upset, 20 odd.

Miraculous, none.

;)

The problem is that often there is no other option but to do operation X, especially if you are Queen Rearing and working to a fixed time table. If the weather is against you then its gear up time and grin and take it.

PH

I have a miraculous pair of hives in that case, I have not received a single sting yet :toetap05:

it wont be the first or last time i have killed off a hive, i had to deal with a buckfast hives several years ago, i ended up backing down going to the car and then coming back throwing a bucket of diesel over the hive complete and torching the lot there and then, some times you just have to

You burned all the hive too?? :svengo: - I am too mean. I would double up the clothing and dump the bees in a fire-

I must admit my son and I went to buy hive and bees from a man at are club . the guy we are buying them from told us to go and collect them around 7 pm two Sundays ago . My son and I went along all excited that we were going to get are new hive and bees for £60 what a deal. He is a guy in his seventy’s and had kept bees for many years and was winding down to a few hives . He cracked the crown board off and are night mare began they come out the hive in a swarm they covered me my son and the man at one point I could not even see out my veil we made a retreat but the bees was having none of it and gave chase they stung my son 12 times and the guy a couple must admit did think if this is what it is about think I might take up fishing instead . Funny enough did not buy that hive and settled for a nuc instead for £30. The guys down the club put it down to the weather there was storms due and think they had the hump still lesson learnt I now no what humpy bees are. I did not get one sting I now no take your son for ground bait because he cant run as fast lol. But I have had no trouble since. They where nice and gentle today and my faith is restored but will never open them at night again or when a storm is due.

I have just got some funny looks from around the room as well after reading that.

Back