Get yourself stung. it's good for you?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been ok with bee stings, only local reactions which became less and less pronounced as the years passed. Then I got a wasp sting on my thumb and had very bad systemic reaction going red all over, pain in groin and armpits including chest pains and ended up with intravenous drip and an epipen. It was not classified as Anapylactic Shook, but I got the treatment within half an hour of the sting. I am sure I had wasp stings as a child, but none since. Also I do realise different venom. A&E said, "no more stings". With added precautions, I have not had any stings this year. Do people with scientific knowledge think, this episode makes me high risk for bee venom too? Bees apparently, have most potent bee venom at 20 days and thereafter the venom deteriorates which may go some way of explaining different reactions to stings.

I have been ok with bee stings, only local reactions which became less and less pronounced as the years passed. Then I got a wasp sting on my thumb and had very bad systemic reaction going red all over, pain in groin and armpits including chest pains and ended up with intravenous drip and an epipen. It was not classified as Anapylactic Shook, but I got the treatment within half an hour of the sting. I am sure I had wasp stings as a child, but none since. Also I do realise different venom. A&E said, "no more stings". With added precautions, I have not had any stings this year. Do people with scientific knowledge think, this episode makes me high risk for bee venom too? Bees apparently, have most potent bee venom at 20 days and thereafter the venom deteriorates which may go some way of explaining different reactions to stings.
Isn't it all to do with the body's response to, and (over)production of histamine. We get a fair dose of the stuff in foods anyway; then its found in many drugs including common painkillers.

Short answer to your question - It might well make you high risk, but you should discuss that properly with a knowledgable doctor.

Interesting conversation.
I know very little about the science of immunity and allergic reactions to stings.

I do know that years ago, after a conversation with a person with multiple sclerosis who wanted bees for venom therapy and her testimony that in her experience it helped not only with her primary symptoms, but also joint pain, I tried intentionally provoking stings to mitigate my own joint pain.

I discovered that *for me*, if I get stung once every 2-3 weeks, it mitigates pain in my knee for arthritis, and chronic lower back pain after breaking my back a few years ago.

That's just *my* experience, I do *not* say that others will experience anything similar.

I've done this for years, and have not noticed any increase in severity of symptoms from being stung; it remains *for me* that I only experience local pain , swelling and some minor itching

As long as I keep to schedule, it works better than narcotics did *for me*.

Could you post a link to the article by Murray McGregor?
I've tried to Google it but all I've come up with is a page of links to the McGregor anaphylaxis scene in the Peter Rabbit film. 😣
I don’t have it. I believe his experience with this is on this forum somewhere. Or, might have seen it on Bee-L years ago.

Must say never really thought about it. I started off not wearing gloves & never had a sting proof suit. I used to inspect wearing shorts & T shirt until I got a bee up my shorts. Don’t wear shorts now 😬 Nearly always wear a veil now as I’ve had a couple of stings too close to the eyes for comfort.
That said had a colony that re queened it’s self this season and they turned so nasty it was unbelievable, over 70 stings in 1 go wasn’t fun but not much of a reaction. That hive had to go. Also moving a double brood hive early season, it twisted while I was carrying it & I got a good few stings then as well.
I used to be able to count the number of stings each season on one hand. This year I bet I’ve topped 300 stings. Still don’t really bother with gloves unless the blue nitrile ones to keep my hands clean. I nearly always wear a jacket now though & one day may even get a sting proof one

Latest posts

Back