Get Your Entrance Reducers In Or Get Wasp Trouble

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midland Beek

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Many colonies in the UK have now passed their peak and maybe no longer warrant an open entrance. And this is especially the case with colonies that have been broodless for some time.

There is many a new beek that is late with his/her entrance reducers and in the meantime wasp trouble has started.

saw a couple of wasps being chased out of a strong colony this afternoon, will be putting the entrance blocks back in on saturday.

The wasps in my apiary are still patrolling around on the ground 'harvesting' disabled/grounded bees which tells me they're still looking for protein for feeding brood.

The only hive intruders at the moment are buff-tailed bumblebees. These are real tryers but I've never seen them get past the first row of guard bees

The wasps in my apiary are still patrolling around on the ground 'harvesting' disabled/grounded bees which tells me they're still looking for protein for feeding brood.

The only hive intruders at the moment are buff-tailed bumblebees. These are real tryers but I've never seen them get past the first row of guard bees

same in Nawf London, wasps still collecting wood pulp and discarded dead bees

The Hornets are taking a few bees as well, though live bees while in mid flight

Hello Muswell

Have you actually got hornets? I've never seen one...

Maybe Sarf London is just too hard....

:) richard

Many colonies in the UK have now passed their peak and maybe no longer warrant an open entrance. And this is especially the case with colonies that have been broodless for some time.

There is many a new beek that is late with his/her entrance reducers and in the meantime wasp trouble has started.
New beek, just popped out to put reduces in - thank you. Not seen many wasps but better safe.

So far, wasp problems are fairly minimal. The wasp's that I have seen all seem to be significantly smaller than of previous years. Anyone else have the same impression?

Seen one wasp and that today.

Never say never but never had a wasp issue, but that probably is because of my locations.

If your wasps are an issue why not trap?

PH

So far, wasp problems are fairly minimal. The wasp's that I have seen all seem to be significantly smaller than of previous years. Anyone else have the same impression?

Yes! I thought it was because I as a newbee I now have a bee-sized template in my brain and it was just relative. But they do seem tiny.

I was always taught to keep the entrance block in place what ever time of year with the reduced spacing, and turn the block upside down so the entrance does not get blocked,

Odd wasp here but still feeding young on dead bees. I tracked a large nest in our eaves and killed it in June so hopefully that will have reduced the size of the problem but rotten raspberry bottle traps will be set next week..

Wasps LOVE raspberries - picking them in late July can at times be a battle due to the wasps..

same in Nawf London, wasps still collecting wood pulp and discarded dead bees

The Hornets are taking a few bees as well, though live bees while in mid flight

Got three nuc entrances to reduce this w/e and the frogs are hoovering up the dead bees.

An earlier poster mentioned old fashioned wasp (death) traps of a jam jar with a couple of inches of water/jam in the bottom and a few holes punched down in the lid.

It works a treat for wasps and is of no danger to bees

An earlier poster mentioned old fashioned wasp (death) traps of a jam jar with a couple of inches of water/jam in the bottom and a few holes punched down in the lid.

It works a treat for wasps and is of no danger to bees

And they still use it when it's nearly full of dead wasps

Just don't use honey as bait. I have also noticed small wasps but not exclusively, normal sized ones as well.
My entrance blocks are in all year round.

Back