Get Together 2010 - May 8th : Midlands/West/Central

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerford

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
National
The 2010 BKF Meet - Midland/West/Central
GBKA Auction Day - Hempstead, Gloucester

It appears that this day is gaining concensus as a definite favourite as not only will we be able to meet up for a glass of mead, and a nice piece of crumpet with honey on, but when we have got fed up with the sight of each other, we can then spend lots of money at the Auction (perhaps even submit some lots ourselves too ?!!)

Nearer the day I figure that us 'more local' should correspond and agree where to meet/time and see who has a gazebo just to make it 'official' and maybe come up with a nice flag too ?!

One idea I have is to let beeks coming from afar stop over with a local beek - arranged on a 1-1 basis rather than via the forum, perhaps via a different thread if people can offer a bed/want a bed - then if people are up for it, we could also arrange for a meal at a local tavern where alcoholic (or non) beverages may be consumed too.

I also thought it would be nice to help Hedgerow Pete strap his days purchases to his bicycle too and help him balance for the first mile home !

OK - so next step for all - please respond below if either 50%, 75% or 110% certain you'll make it and then nearer the time we can sort the little things out.

Hope to see you all (1000+ would be an amazing turnout, then we'd need a bl**dy marquee !!)

:cheers2: :grouphug: :cheers2:

regards

S

Text from GBKA site reproduced below

The annual Gloucestershire Beekeepers' Auction will be held on May 8th 2010. Start time is 12 noon.
The location this year is Hempstead Meadows, Gloucester - this is off the Western Bypass.

For many years an auction of beekeeping equipment has been held at Hartpury College in May. A lecture and trade stands have also been part of the day. Usually some colonies of live bees have also been auctioned. The event has been very successful and raised a considerable sum of money for the GBKA, as well as enabling beekeepers from far and wide to buy and sell equipment.
This year, the venue has been changed to Hempstead Meadows, Gloucester.

:patriot:

So sorry :angelsad2:- would have loved to meet up- but we have a Bee Tuition day for the Brighton Assoc that day, and getting lots of enquiries and bookings.

Another time.....

Enjoy, I will not be there by reason of distance and no interest in a bee auction.

PH

Will certainly be there, coming from Redditch in Worcestershire (about an hour from Gloucester and happy to put someone up if needed.

will be nice to meet some of you.

Chris

I'll definitely be there.

Live locally, so could probably offer a bed (maybe two if No. 1 Son isn't home).

FG

Would have loved to make the journey to England for the occasion.

Unfortunately, we have bookings for our b&B (or should I say bee & bee?) that day - so I'll be passing the time with my marigolds on instead. :ack2:

It's neither - and you don't really want to go there (any more than I do!).

Easy answer to your missing 996.

Someones takes a strong over wintered nuc and you easily have an extra 996

I'm thinking of going if I can get the daty off work, are there many lots in the auction and what are the prices like ?

Looking forward to meeting up with some of u:grouphug:

Good on you Somerford, i was beginning to think that my joke image on my original post, showing grumpy old farts was actually more of a reality !!.

I am not interested in the auction much, but am keen to make the effort and pop up, possibly even the night before, might chat to Admin about it tomorrow and try and drag him along particularly as this forum is his baby.

I'm thinking of going if I can get the daty off work, are there many lots in the auction and what are the prices like ?

Looking forward to meeting up with some of u:grouphug:

Last time I went there were over 150 lots - from hives to nucs to new frames, foundation, uncapping machines, extractors etc. prices can be keen but depends on the demand really and what you are prepared to pay !

75% certain, that's up from 50% because Firegazer extended the cup of tea offer to Hedgerow Pete and myself.

I will be there as well I went last year and bought an extractor and a settling tank for a very reasonable price. I expect the bees will sell for more than the £80 that some nucs went for last year.
Can somebody give me the post code of the place so I can find it.

Can somebody give me the post code of the place so I can find it.

Somerford said:
Text from GBKA site reproduced below

The annual Gloucestershire Beekeepers' Auction will be held on May 8th 2010. Start time is 12 noon.
The location this year is Hempstead Meadows, Gloucester - this is off the Western Bypass.

For many years an auction of beekeeping equipment has been held at Hartpury College in May. A lecture and trade stands have also been part of the day. Usually some colonies of live bees have also been auctioned. The event has been very successful and raised a considerable sum of money for the GBKA, as well as enabling beekeepers from far and wide to buy and sell equipment.
This year, the venue has been changed to Hempstead Meadows, Gloucester.

Google map - Hempsted, Gloucester

I'm sure you can arrange to locate a local business postcode if you really need one. Starter for ten "GL".

Latest posts

Back