Generic Oxalic Solution still available

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
A half-share in 6...ish
I was surprised to find a well-known supplier (but not all) still selling generic, pre-mixed Oxalic/sugar solution (as "winter hive care"!). Good for me, but are they technically outside the law?

I imagine I am if I use it

But you can buy German water, which has a little bit oxalic acid £ 30/litre.

You can use lemon juice too against varroa. Do you need a license for lemons?
100% lemon juice gives 87% efficacy against mite, with sugar 1:1

Last edited:
I have 20l of almost pure Citric acid in the shed, but I will wait for someone else to try it first.

There were some researches which have shown that it can be kept in fridge at +4C. One research shown that after 16 months it hasn't critical HMF level ( 50,6mg/kg) - Roberto Piro, Italy.
Other after 57 weeks 22 mg/kg - Liebefeld Institute, Switzerland.

So for the best storage is recomended at +4C if keeping. With higher temps HMF increases rapidly.

I use it immediatelly or in a few days.

I thought oxalic/sugar solution couldn't be stored.

At least one year can be stored. Reasearched thing. But oxalic is so cheap, that not worth to store.

I have kept solution near owen on window. Yellowish color has appeared in one month.

Last edited:
Problem is that when " we " give recipes to 2-hive owner, it is 1 kg sugar and 1 kg water. It is for 40 hives.

Problem is that when " we " give recipes to 2-hive owner, it is 1 kg sugar and 1 kg water. It is for 40 hives.

Or you have to measure small quantities of oxalic crystals, which means better-than-kitchen scales. That was the point where I started to look for someone still selling it. Legislation takes a while to reach rural Wales, it seems :judge:

Or you have to measure small quantities of oxalic crystals, which means better-than-kitchen scales

Poppycock! Scales to 0.01g are avalible from epay for little over a fiver including delivery. Nobody able to 'cut' an amount even only into two equal amounts?

As usual, no imagination or thought applied to what is not really a problem for most.

Or you have to measure small quantities of oxalic crystals, which means better-than-kitchen scales

Poppycock! Scales to 0.01g are avalible from epay for little over a fiver including delivery. Nobody able to 'cut' an amount even only into two equal amounts?

As usual, no imagination or thought applied to what is not really a problem for most.

You beat me to it RAB. The eBay scales are cheap and cheerful, easily carried in a pocket and mine has a tare function to zero an empty measuring spoon.
:facts:

So difficult task.
When I measured first time oxalic acid, I made own balance. I used as opposite weigh 1 euro coin, whicb is 7.5 g. You can calibrate your balance with that.

Last edited:
You beat me to it RAB. The eBay scales are cheap and cheerful, easily carried in a pocket and mine has a tare function to zero an empty measuring spoon.
:facts:

We are not doing chemistry experiments here.. the recommended dose for sublimating OA depends on teh hive size and whom you read - a range of 1g to 2.75g is possible.

My aim is 2.5g +/- 0.3g.

A good digital kitchen scales is ideal..

Latest posts

Back