Geek Corner

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Beefriendly

I kinda scan various scientific publications when I have the time to attempt to keep up with whats going on....a forlorn task and hope. And yes I know I should get a life! This is it ;)
But I do tend to accumulate a few references that are published during the current month.

I thought they may be of interest to some on here, although not all the papers are accessible in full, a google search will bring up the sources...sorry I'm not going to post links. I won't comment on the content of any of them (once bitten) that's up to you. But if they are of any interest or use to anyone on here that would be good.

Any non geeks should turn away now.

Decembers offering...apologies for odd subscripts, but cut and pasting does this .
djlane N, Tarek EO, Haddad N.
Evaluation of Oxalic Acid Treatments against the Mite <i>Varroa destructor</i> and Secondary Effects on Honey Bees <i>Apis mellifera</i>.
J Arthropod Borne Dis. 2016 Oct 4;10(4):501-509.
PMID: 28032102 [PubMed]

Rix RR, Christopher Cutler G.
Acute Exposure to Worst-Case Concentrations of Amitraz Does Not Affect Honey Bee Learning, Short-Term Memory, or Hemolymph Octopamine Levels.
J Econ Entomol. 2016 Dec 27;. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 28028168 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Meikle WG, Adamczyk JJ, Weiss M, Gregorc A, Johnson DR, Stewart SD, Zawislak J, Carroll MJ, Lorenz GM.
Sublethal Effects of Imidacloprid on Honey Bee Colony Growth and Activity at Three Sites in the U.S.
PLoS One. 2016 Dec 28;11(12):e0168603.
PMID: 28030617 [Unknown status]

Dewar AM.
The adverse impact of the neonicotinoid seed treatment ban on crop protection in oilseed rape in the UK.
Pest Manag Sci. 2016 Dec 26;. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 28019077 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Hossen MS, Shapla UM, Gan SH, Khalil MI.
Impact of Bee Venom Enzymes on Diseases and Immune Responses.
Molecules. 2016 Dec 27;22(1).
PMID: 28035985 [PubMed - in process]

He XJ, Zhou LB, Pan QZ, Barron AB, Yan WY, Zeng ZJ.
Making a queen: an epigenetic analysis of the robustness of the honey bee (Apis mellifera) queen developmental pathway.
Mol Ecol. 2016 Dec 27;. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 28026884 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Mendoza Y, Diaz-Cetti S, Ramallo G, Santos E, Porrini M, Invernizzi C.
Nosema ceranae Winter Control: Study of the Effectiveness of Different Fumagillin Treatments and Consequences on the Strength of Honey Bee (Hymenoptera: Apidae) Colonies.
J Econ Entomol. 2016 Dec 26;. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 28025388 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Langowska A, Zawilak M, Sparks TH, Glazaczow A, Tomkins PW, Tryjanowski P.
Long-term effect of temperature on honey yield and honeybee phenology.
Int J Biometeorol. 2016 Dec 24;. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 28013383 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Amitraz.... AKA Taktic ?

No reference to honeybees spreading Avian flue that I have seen.. as yet!

Yeghes da

Some more recent one's for anyone interested.

O'Neal ST, Anderson TD.
Dissection and Observation of Honey Bee Dorsal Vessel for Studies of Cardiac Function.
J Vis Exp. 2016 Dec 12;(118).
PMID: 28060305 [PubMed - in process]

Stalidzans E, Zacepins A, Kviesis A, Brusbardis V, Meitalovs J, Paura L, Bulipopa N, Liepniece M.
Dynamics of Weight Change and Temperature of Apis mellifera (Hymenoptera: Apidae) Colonies in a Wintering Building With Controlled Temperature.
J Econ Entomol. 2017 Jan 4;. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 28053207 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Pita-Calvo C, Guerra-Rodriguez ME, Vazquez M.
A Review of the Analytical Methods used in the Quality Control of Honey.
J Agric Food Chem. 2017 Jan 4;. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 28051308 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Kim YH, Kim JH, Kim K, Lee SH.
Expression of acetylcholinesterase 1 is associated with brood rearing status in the honey bee, Apis mellifera.
Sci Rep. 2017 Jan 3;7:39864.
PMID: 28045085 [Unknown status]

Wang Q, Diao Q, Dai P, Chu Y, Wu Y, Zhou T, Cai Q.
Exploring poisonous mechanism of honeybee, Apis mellifera ligustica Spinola, caused by pyrethroids.
Pestic Biochem Physiol. 2017 Jan;135:1-8.
PMID: 28043325 [PubMed - in process]

I've quoted the abstract for this paper, as it has relevance to most of us.

Dynamics of Weight Change and Temperature of Apis mellifera (Hymenoptera: Apidae) Colonies in a Wintering Building With Controlled Temperature

Honey bee wintering in a wintering building (indoors) with controlled microclimate is used in some cold regions to minimize colony losses due to the hard weather conditions. The behavior and possible state of bee colonies in a dark room, isolated from natural environment during winter season, was studied by indirect temperature measurements to analyze the expression of their annual rhythm when it is not affected by ambient temperature, rain, snow, wind, and daylight. Thus, the observed behavior in the wintering building is initiated solely by bee colony internal processes. Experiments were carried out to determine the dynamics of temperature above the upper hive body and weight dynamics of indoors and outdoors wintered honey bee colonies and their brood-rearing performance in spring. We found significantly lower honey consumption-related weight loss of indoor wintered colonies compared with outdoor colonies, while no significant difference in the amount of open or sealed brood was found, suggesting that wintering building saves food and physiological resources without an impact on colony activity in spring. Indoor wintered colonies, with or without thermal insulation, did not have significant differences in food consumption and brood rearing in spring. The thermal behavior and weight dynamics of all experimental groups has changed in the middle of February possibly due to increased brood-rearing activity. Temperature measurement above the upper hive body is a convenient remote monitoring method of wintering process. Predictability of food consumption in a wintering building, with constant temperature, enables wintering without oversupply of wintering honey.

Dynamics of Weight Change and Temperature of Apis mellifera (Hymenoptera: Apidae) Colonies in a Wintering Building With Controlled Temperature

Honey bee wintering in a wintering building (indoors) with controlled microclimate is used in some cold regions to minimize colony losses due to the hard weather conditions. The behavior and possible state of bee colonies in a dark room, isolated from natural environment during winter season, was studied by indirect temperature measurements to analyze the expression of their annual rhythm when it is not affected by ambient temperature, rain, snow, wind, and daylight. Thus, the observed behavior in the wintering building is initiated solely by bee colony internal processes. Experiments were carried out to determine the dynamics of temperature above the upper hive body and weight dynamics of indoors and outdoors wintered honey bee colonies and their brood-rearing performance in spring. We found significantly lower honey consumption-related weight loss of indoor wintered colonies compared with outdoor colonies, while no significant difference in the amount of open or sealed brood was found, suggesting that wintering building saves food and physiological resources without an impact on colony activity in spring. Indoor wintered colonies, with or without thermal insulation, did not have significant differences in food consumption and brood rearing in spring. The thermal behavior and weight dynamics of all experimental groups has changed in the middle of February possibly due to increased brood-rearing activity. Temperature measurement above the upper hive body is a convenient remote monitoring method of wintering process. Predictability of food consumption in a wintering building, with constant temperature, enables wintering without oversupply of wintering honey.

Didn't the bees read the BBKA book that says they should be eating more honey if kept warm becaasue the are more active

Didn't the bees read the BBKA book that says they should be eating more honey if kept warm becaasue the are more active

Ferzackerly! If you regard the over-wintering building in the paper as a super-sized hive cozy, it suggests that extra insulation, outside a wood hive will reduce food consumption. -- So I was right to put cozies on all my plywood hive! Yea, thanks Derek!

CVB

Being confined for long periods without a cleansing flight could have potential problems. There must be a limit to the distensible properties of the honey bee rectum and when you have to go you have to go!

Being confined for long periods without a cleansing flight could have potential problems. There must be a limit to the distensible properties of the honey bee rectum and when you have to go you have to go!

Having negative coefficient of metabolic rate with respect to temperature means less rectum contents if kept in a lower heat loss enclosure.

Ferzackerly! If you regard the over-wintering building in the paper as a super-sized hive cozy, it suggests that extra insulation, outside a wood hive will reduce food consumption. -- So I was right to put cozies on all my plywood hive! Yea, thanks Derek!

CVB
The hypothetical BBKA book implies a positive coefficient of metabolic rate with respect to heat loss. If we take the BBKA at face value then the warmer the bees are, the more heat they produce. This means the bees will suffer a heat death in almost all circumstances. Since A.m rarely die from heat death, and successfully evolved to use low conductance tree enclosures, we can safely burn that hypothetical book and warm ourselves theoretically.

Last edited:

I 'm currently reading this paper , I trying to contact the authors to get more detail on the "insulation" it appears from the pictures to be a piece of foam on top of the crown board.

After reading all the posts I can honestly say, I'm not a geek, I might have thought I was just a little bit but definitely not now :smilie_bett:

They surely do, if they have brood. If winter is warm, bees consume quite less stores than during cold winter.

Latest posts

Back