Gasvap Modifications

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not up to your turned Thingamibob' Philip but this is mine.

DSCF1209.JPG

Last edited:
Not a Gasvap mod but a way of delivering the sublimate into the top of the hive. All my hives have clear polycarbonate crownboards with a 50mm hole for a feeder so I got on the lathe and turned this thingumibob that sits on the hole . It works, it distributes sublimate into the hive and stops any excess sublimate going anywhere else. I need to make another one as it is a bit loose in the 50mm hole - measuring is not one of my strong points ...
That looks the DB
I do as Amari and have an eke on the top which gets left on for the duration of treatment.

Does the heat of the exit tube not melt the polycarbonate ? But I like it ....

Not as yet, I use the extension spout which I have taken a bout 50mm off as it was bit long and have put a bend in it.

Attachments

• Top Vap 1.jpg
    Top Vap 1.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Top Vap 2.jpg
    Top Vap 2.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 70
  • Top Vap 3.jpg
    Top Vap 3.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 68
I liked the idea that you could just set it going and walk away .,... so today I made this: Bit more elaborate than yours but it works ... I can just set it going and leave it.
Yes the fact you don't have to hold it makes it much easier and less intimidating if the wind changes!!!

But ... it got a bit hot and the silicon sealant holding the silicon sheet started to peel off the heatshield so I need a different adhesive or to be a bit more careful with the heat. Anyone got any ideas for a heatproof adhesive ?

Attachments

• 20210206_163226_005_001.mp4
    9.1 MB
But ... it got a bit hot and the silicon sealant holding the silicon sheet started to peel off the heatshield so I need a different adhesive or to be a bit more careful with the heat. Anyone got any ideas for a heatproof adhesive ?
I had the same problem when I put the sheet on the inside of the heatshield. It works ok on the outside.IMG_0670.jpg

I had the same problem when I put the sheet on the inside of the heatshield. It works ok on the outside.View attachment 24299
I think I got it a bit too hot and the silicon adhesive melted .,.. It stuck back on when I pushed it back into place and switched the torch off ... I was using a bigger torch than my usual one and I think it was a bit too powerful .. should have turned the heat down.

I think you have the flame too hot/strong in the video clip. Once the GasVap is warmed up to temp, the flame should be reduced to minimum. It won't get too hot then (which will also ensure you don't create formic acid).
As for adhesive, you could try exhaust sealant?

Chucked the tube out long ago, so cannot give you details, but in the past I bought a cartridge of sealant/adhesive designed to be used on wood burners etc. Worked well.

I think I got it a bit too hot and the silicon adhesive melted .,.. It stuck back on when I pushed it back into place and switched the torch off ... I was using a bigger torch than my usual one and I think it was a bit too powerful .. should have turned the heat down.
You could try high temperature silicone/adhesive for ovens - sticks both glass and metal and is pretty cheap; usually only rated to about 300 degrees C.

I think you have the flame too hot/strong in the video clip. Once the GasVap is warmed up to temp, the flame should be reduced to minimum. It won't get too hot then (which will also ensure you don't create formic acid).
As for adhesive, you could try exhaust sealant?
Yes ... I normally turn down the flame like that ... I was trying out some new OA tablets that I've made and left the burner turned up more by accident than design .. it's the first time that the silicon has given way and I was a bit surprised to be honest. I was also using another torch (I normally use a Cadrim but it had run out of gas) so I used another torch ...

Latest posts

Back